Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EdBurkett  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 10, 2018 7:54:23 AM(UTC)
EdBurkett

Groups: Registered

I'm getting a pretty heavy frost buildup on the back wall of the bottom freezer of my Kenmore 596.62822200. It seems to be keeping the freezer from getting as cold as it should though the fridge is plenty cold enough. I assume the problem is something to do with the defrost circuitry but I don't know where the part/board islocated or what the most likely item(s) to replace are.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 10, 2018 4:40:04 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
You most likely have a defrost problem. There are three main parts in a defrost system. The defrost timer, the defrost element, and the defrost termination/thermostat/bi-metal.

Parts 67001036, 67001169, 12001937 respectively .

The timer and the thermostat bi-metal are the most likely to have failed, but anything is possible.

The timer is located in the control panel, the other two are in the frost, in the freezer, on the evaporator coils.

If you go to $ears you can look up your refrigerator and see where the parts are located.

EdBurkett  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 10, 2018 8:38:07 PM(UTC)
EdBurkett

Groups: Registered

Thanks. After I posted I found the sticky post on troubleshooting defrost problems. I tried manually turning the timer to switch to defrost mode. The blowers, and presumably the compressor, stopped. However, after 15 minutes there was no "sizzling" sound or other evidence of defrost occurring. So that would leave the thermostat and heater, right? Thermostat first or heater? Or would it make more sense just to replace both at the same time.
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 5:15:40 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
That frost in the coils has probably been accumulating for two or three weeks. What I would do is take the back wall out 0f the freezer and check the bi-metal and element for continuity. As long as the bi-metal is in the frost it should have continuity.

Most likely its the bi-metal, but anything is possible.

You need to get rid of all the frost and ice. I used warm water and a shop vac. It makes quick work of the ice. Just use some towels to help control the mess.

Once its defrosted and if you kept the water out of the wiring, you can reassemble the freezer and it should work for 5 or more days before it frosts up again. Long enough to get a part.

Take pictures as you go, it can save a lot of head scratching later.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply