Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BayouDude  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2018 3:38:25 PM(UTC)
BayouDude

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/29/2018(UTC)
Posts: 1

My GE microwave (JE1860SB 002) made a cracking sound and stopped working. After some research, I removed the cover and checked the fuse and it was good. I then checked the thermal flame/sensor and discovered it was burned out. I replaced the thermal flame/sensor and now the unit comes on but makes a loud humming sound and has a burnt smell. The next step (according to my research) is checking the diode (cable) which is attached to the capacitor. It appears I need to discharge the capacitor before proceeding? --- BEFORE replacing the sensor, the unit had been unplugged for over one week….AFTER replacing the sensor, the unit was plugged in for about 5 minutes on Jan 25, 2018.
- What is the best/safest way to discharge the capacitor? Is an insulated screw driver or pliers needed or will a rubber handle tool work considering the time it has been unplugged?
- Should I remove the two connecting wires and diode before attempting to discharge the capacitor?
- If the diode is bad should I still check the Magnetron?
- If the diode is good, what is the next item to check/test?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com
 
ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2018 2:06:31 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Expert
Joined: 7/27/2010(UTC)
Posts: 1,395

Always discharge the capacitor before you touch anything near it or the magnetron. The capacitor can store 2000 volts. Most of the time they will be discharged, but its not worth the risk to find out the hard way.

You can use a screwdriver with an insulated handle. Just be careful and use the old radio repairman's trick, keep one hand in your pocket and make sure your body isn't touching anything, then use the screwdriver in your other hand to discharge the capacitor. That way you can't stop your own heart.

Take pictures as you disassemble the microwave, that makes it a lot easier later.

The crackling noise and now the burning smell makes me think you should check the magnetron for a burnt antenna. Its the round part that sticks into the waveguide. You will need to take the magnetron off to check it. Also check the waveguide for burnt or arced areas.

I have seen the diodes crack and arc, but its rare.

UserPostedImage
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.