Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ppipowerclass  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 3, 2017 12:54:14 PM(UTC)
ppipowerclass

Groups: Registered

Ok. I got this dryer, and there are two things.

First thing, I plugged it in, I went to turn the dial to set it to run, and it started on it's own, ran for about a second, then stopped. So first thing was first, I checked the door switch. It was floppy ( not clicking / engaging how it should ). So I switched that out. Plugged the dryer back in, same exact thing happened. Dryer started ( on it's own ), I heard a noise by the door switch, and it stopped again. Checked the door switch, same thing as previously.

I don't want to lose another door switch because of some shorted out wires inside of the dryer. I checked the start switch with my volt meter, it's good. Works how it should. I pulled the back of the unit off to see if there were any shorts there, exposed wiring or something. There was nothing. Clean and everything tested OK.

Has anyone had this issue before?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

thorning  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 4, 2017 3:37:36 AM(UTC)
thorning

Possibly a problem with the timer contacts being stuck together . Take a look at the terminals of the timer that carry the power for the start and run circuit. If nothing is evident it may be the contacts inside. It is possible to take the timer apart but you need to be careful when you disassemble due to cams. Repair parts are not available for these areas however.
ppipowerclass  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 14, 2017 9:24:21 PM(UTC)
ppipowerclass

Originally Posted by: thorning Go to Quoted Post
Possibly a problem with the timer contacts being stuck together . Take a look at the terminals of the timer that carry the power for the start and run circuit. If nothing is evident it may be the contacts inside. It is possible to take the timer apart but you need to be careful when you disassemble due to cams. Repair parts are not available for these areas however.

Good idea. I will check that out. I figured it was a problem with the motor having a short in it and sending 220 to the switch.

I know the internal timer parts are not available. Believe me, I have looked. I wish they were. There really isn't anything to the timers when you take them apart! I do repair the timers though. A lot of the timers, have 1 contact inside that is the same. One takes the heavy load ( the one that burns up and causes the dryer not to heat ), and the other is on the left side of the timer. I have repaired quite a few with old dryer timers people have sold me cheap cause they don't want to / have time to mess with them. You can get the contacts out without having to pulled any of the dial mechanisms out.
thorning  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 15, 2017 2:14:13 AM(UTC)
thorning

I have also repaired a few timers using the same method you describe. Yesterday I was able to salvage s timer by using a nail file and carefully file the stuck contacts after I separated them. I am curious about the newer electronic panels used in place of the older rotary timers If they are prone to any problems and if they are repairable ? Do you have any experience along that line ?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply