Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bigredford4me  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 6:20:40 AM(UTC)
bigredford4me

Groups: Registered

I have a upright freezer. I believe it is a manual defrost. When I open the door there is a air vacuum sound. A week and a half ago I noticed the freezer compressor seemed to always be running. I shot pool in the basement one night and noticed after almost 6 hours the freezer never shut off.

I started reading possible problems and thought it was the thermostat. I purchased a new one and nothing has changed. The dial goes from 1-6. The recommended setting is 4. This should be approximately 0 degrees. I bought a thermometer and placed it inside. The temp gets down to -11 degrees and still runs. The only way to get it to shut off is turn the dial down to 1/2 ( between off and 1).

The freezer is about 3/4 full. It gets opened only 2-3 times a week. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. If you need more information, let me know.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

bigredford4me  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 12:17:32 PM(UTC)
bigredford4me

Was just talking to a co worker who brought up that maybe when I turn dial down to 1/2, it might actually be turning the unit off. And when I turn it back to 4 it actually is staying on till the overload switch activates. Is this possible?
bigredford4me  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 9:02:12 PM(UTC)
bigredford4me

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 1, 2017 6:29:31 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Does the shelf (where the thermostat tube attaches) ever get frost on it?

Could you take a pic of it after the freezer has run for a couple of hours?
bigredford4me  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 1, 2017 9:26:42 PM(UTC)
bigredford4me

It's not frosted like the other shelves. The top shelf and 3rd shelf and bottom have a very distinct frost layer on them. The second shelf with the thermostat doesn't have a very distinct frost layer to it.
ThatGuy  
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 11:28:29 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

Most likely your sealed system is no-longer sealed. In other words your freezer is probably low on Freon.

When a system is full, all the shelves (that are part of the sealed system) should get a light coating of frost on them after a hour of constant running.

The shelf that the thermostat is attached to is not getting cold enough to cause the thermostat to shut off the compressor. That is why its running all the time.

What does this mean you night ask. It means that there are one or more small leaks in the sealed system. Its probably been leaking for some time and it finally became noticeable, soon it will get to the place where it can't even reach zero degrees Fahrenheit.

Small leaks are very hard to find and seal. Sometimes on older units, the leaks are the tubing itself developing micro holes in multiple places. I think yours is probably R12 which makes it even more expensive to fill back up. I hope this explains it.
bigredford4me  
#7 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 11:30:59 AM(UTC)
bigredford4me

Just looked st it again. No frost on shelf with thermostat attached. Shelf below it though has frost on it though, along with top shelf. Weird that the shelves below it would be frosted over. I thought the cooling went from top shelf to the bottom shelf.
bigredford4me  
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 11:47:09 AM(UTC)
bigredford4me

Ok time for a new freezer then. Do you recommend buying a five year extended warranty with the new freezer?
ThatGuy  
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 12:05:21 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

You would need to follow the tubing to see the order the shelves are "filled" with Freon. Usually the thermostat bulb is attached to the last shelf to be "filled".

Extended warranties? Its up to you. I never buy them, but that's because I know someone who can fix them. It used to be freezers and refrigerators had at least a three year sealed system warranty, but I guess there is too much money to be made in selling extended warranties.

It all boils down to how good the extended warranty is and how much it costs and how much faith you have in the new appliances.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply