Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mrow22  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 13, 2017 8:59:10 AM(UTC)
mrow22

Groups: Registered

Can hear it start/stop 20X or so from inside freezer and especially in refrigerator section, sound comes from the control assembly at the top of the compartment, and not at the compressor. (Possibly Evaporator motor or some type of control or relay?). At first I thought this might be the run capacitor and start device at the compressor (was all set to buy and install new ones) but they seem to be fine. The compressor fan works, coils are clean as I can make them. Temps seem right.

Reluctant to start disassembling the covers inside the fridge compartment evaporator section until I have a firm idea what is causing it not to start the fans on the first try, as there will be quite a bit of food out of the box unprotected. If there is a basic part I could have standing by it might be helpful. If it is an entire control board or something like that, maybe a component can be fixed first before replacing an entire assembly or board. The sound is loudest on the right (fridge section) side. I will get a video recording of it if I can.

This start-stop is occurring often enough, but definitely not at every cycle. Sounds like fan(s) are trying to engage and not succeeding. Sometimes it starts as it should. The start-stop interval is 1 sec, and has increased from a few X in a cycle per day whenever it does occur, to 20 start-stops in one cycle a month later( now). The fan(s) sound fine once they finally do engage.
Thanks much. Don
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

LyndaG  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 13, 2017 4:42:51 PM(UTC)
LyndaG

Don,

I am having the same issue. I just replaced the Damper Control Assembly because after about a month of the starting and stopping (also from inside the frig, not the back where the compressor is) the frig compartment started freezing food - I researched and thought it to be the Damper Control motor perhaps was protecting itself by coming on and off because it couldn't shut the door - so I elected to spend the money (and time/frustration at poorly designed and placed screws) and replace the Damper Control...sure enough the door was stuck in the open position - almost "fused" in the open position...because there is a small motor attached to the assembly, I was relatively certain this was the sound I was hearing and the motor was doing it's job by on/offing protecting itself...after reassembling and plugging back in - it ran like a top and I didn't hear the on/off attempts any longer...until today - a little more than 24 hrs later the on and off attempts started again. I will say not as many tries - it was 20 + tries before whatever it is would run...now it's 3 or 4 tries and it doesn't happen as often, but nonetheless the problem is still there sans freezing my food.
Does anyone know what this could be? My research came up with 5 parts it could be, replacing the damper control leaves me with 4 parts it could be and none of them are cheap...this is a 14 yr old frig that is otherwise fine, but i'm going to have a hard time spending several hundred more dollars without knowing for sure it's going to fix it....help!!
mrow22  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 9:38:28 PM(UTC)
mrow22

Hi sounds like it could be a similar (or same) issue, but I am not clear on exactly what parts are not working properly. I would think that damper disassembly, cleaning, lubing joints (probably lithium good for metal or plastic) and possibly small motor replacement could make it work reliably again. I have not taken mine apart yet, and the compartment temps have been good.