Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fsuedonkey  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 19, 2017 2:32:58 PM(UTC)
fsuedonkey

Groups: Registered

This weekend I went down and found a full load of laundry on spin cycle just buzzing but not moving. I stopped the cycle and then restarted. It finished the load no problems.

Yesterday the same thing happened but it didn't restart. I tried to agitate and it would work intermittently and finally got it to go into spin mode. Now this morning I am just getting the buzzing noise from the top of the unit and it will not spin or agitate.

I am guessing the lid switch is fine because when I open and close the buzzing starts and stops. Wasn't sure where to go from here if it was the timer, control board, motor.... don't know a lot about these repairs, but this forum has helped me troubleshoot before so I figured it was the place to go.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

-Ian
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fsuedonkey  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 19, 2017 3:23:07 PM(UTC)
fsuedonkey

Ok so I just plugged the sucker back in and tried to spin, it acted like it wanted to. I then tried to agitate and did the same. I went back and forth a couple of times and it started on spin cycle......

Now I'm really confused. I suppose now that it's completely drained I am going to leave it be until I figure out what to do next.
brobriffin  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 21, 2017 11:53:43 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Question did it drain all of the water out without actually spinning?
If so your coupling is likely broken. It is like a universal joint, it connects the motor to the transmission.
See part #13 on the schematic
Parts for Whirlpool ITW4300SQ0: Brake, Clutch, Gearcase, Motor and Pump Parts - AppliancePartsPros.com
that part also has a repair video.
If the coupling is good and the motor isn't working you may have a bad capacitor. See part 29 on this schematic.
Parts for Whirlpool ITW4300SQ0: Controls and Rear Panel Parts - AppliancePartsPros.com
fsuedonkey  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 21, 2017 11:56:26 AM(UTC)
fsuedonkey

It did not drain the water initially but once i got it spinning it did. Its back to not spinning or agitating. Only the buzzing noise.
fsuedonkey  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 22, 2017 6:26:37 AM(UTC)
fsuedonkey

Took it apart. Coupling is in perfect shape. Took the capacitor out. Is there any way of testing it to know if it is the problem or should I just replace it and see if it fixes the problem?
brobriffin  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 23, 2017 6:04:54 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
You can test the capacitor if you have a multimeter that can test for capacitance. That is measured in microfarads.
If not just try replacing it. As it sounds like that is your problem.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply