Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
merc1100sc  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 16, 2017 7:38:46 AM(UTC)
merc1100sc

Groups: Registered

All,

I have a whirlpool top freezer fridge that has stopped cooling (both fridge and freezer). The compressor tests ok and seems to be running fine. freezer fan is running. It is also overflowing the defrost drain pan located in the rear bottom of the fridge. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 16, 2017 11:11:49 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
My best guess is the water came from the coils being all frozen over. And then the refrigerator quit cooling and the ice melted and filled up the drain pan.

How do you know the compressor is running? How do you know if its compressing freon and how do you know if there is any freon in the machine?

Here is my theory... Your refrigerator is either low on freon, or the compressor is inefficient, or the compressor isn't actually running.
merc1100sc  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 16, 2017 11:42:09 AM(UTC)
merc1100sc

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: ThatGuy Go to Quoted Post
My best guess is the water came from the coils being all frozen over. And then the refrigerator quit cooling and the ice melted and filled up the drain pan.

How do you know the compressor is running? How do you know if its compressing freon and how do you know if there is any freon in the machine?

Here is my theory... Your refrigerator is either low on freon, or the compressor is inefficient, or the compressor isn't actually running.

I can feel the compressor vibrating and building heat. I can feel a warm side on the coils and a cool side on the other end of the coils. But like you said, I don't know if its running properly or efficiently. And the water dumping into the pan happens repeatedly lately.

Is it worth fixing or just replace it?
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 17, 2017 6:39:31 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
If you remove the back cover inside the freezer and check the evaporator coils, they should have an even coat of frost all the way across after 30 minutes of run time.

If they only have frost on one side or just on one or two of the coil loops, the refrig. is low on freon.

That means its leaking and its going to be hard to repair. This picture shows a unit with low freon.

Sorry about the size of this pic, tried to replace it, but it won't let me.

UserPostedImage
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply