Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jim_Lafleur  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 13, 2017 5:03:44 PM(UTC)
Jim_Lafleur

Groups: Registered

Hi. I have a Maytag centenial dryer.

A little background before I talk about the resistor:
The problem I had was that sometimes my dryer was producing heat, and sometimes not (intermittent). I've replaced the element and all the thermostats. No luck. Replaced the Temperature switch today*. Still no luck. I had a brand new fuse that I didn't use because I had tested the existing fuse for continuity and it did pass the test indeed. It's the only part, related to the problem, that I hadn't changed. So I've just replaced it and now the heat is working!!!!

About the temperature switch:
Theres only 2 wires going to the switch. One light blue (terminal 1) and one violet (terminal 2). The blue wire is also connected to terminal 5 using a resistor. The last terminal (terminal 4) isn't connected anywhere.

Now back to the resistor:
*Just before I went to replace the temperature switch, today, I noticed that the resistor was touching the plastic of the white plug and that part of the plastic had burnt and was black. Also the exterior of the resistor had chipped. Like the outside "ceramic" coating crumbled. Now, I've pulled the resistor a little bit so it doesn't touch the plastic anymore. Tested the dryer and it's working and heating. Took the temperature of the resistor : over a period of 15 minutes: It seems to fluctuate between 75F and 93F.

My questions are :
Should I worry for our safety? Or will it be just fine?
Should I replace the resistor? If yes where do I find this and what resistor exactly do I order?

Pictures:
Burnt plug 1 : https://pasteboard.co/GOOHET2.jpg
Burnt plug 2 : https://pasteboard.co/GOOHX8Y.jpg
Wires and Plug going to the Temperature Switch terminals (Before it was burnt): https://pasteboard.co/GNS385T.jpg
Temperature Switch terminals: https://pasteboard.co/GNS2PVE.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 13, 2017 10:05:52 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
That resistor would have to be very hot to destroy its outer cover like that.

The resistor value is on the outside that fell off. Blue, red, red, gold. That is 6, 2, add 2 zeros 6200 ohms. Gold is 5% tolerance. It looks like its at least a 1 watt size.

The number is also printed on the switch.

Did you by any chance short the wires to it or any other part of the dryer?

As long as its less than a 100 degrees F, it should be OK. You might check it and see if its close to 6200 ohms + or - 5%
Jim_Lafleur  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 14, 2017 10:02:53 AM(UTC)
Jim_Lafleur

Hi ThatGuy,

I don't think I've shorted any wires. I had left the back panel, where the temp switch is, open so I could have access easily. Maybe my wife pushed on the resistor when trying to move the dryer or something.

When I replaced the parts, I took some pictures. Removes one part. Installed the new part and connected exactly as it was on the old part. Did the same for every parts.

Today the heat isn't working any more...

I've tested the resistor. It gives a reading of 6330 ohms. So it looks OK.

I must not be lucky. It's probably a rare problem. The parts I've replaced :
-Heater element
-Thermal Cut-Off Thermostat 3977393
-Hi limit thermostat 3977767
-Cycling Thermostat 3387134
-Temperature Switch 3399639
-Thermal Fuse 3392519

What could I try next?
Jim_Lafleur  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 14, 2017 10:22:57 AM(UTC)
Jim_Lafleur

It's weird. It was on high. Not producing any heat for like 20 min. Then the dryer just stopped by itself, with 30 minutes remaining on the timer... I've pushed the start button. It started back and was producing heat...

Weird...
Jim_Lafleur  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 14, 2017 11:07:23 AM(UTC)
Jim_Lafleur

When I go outside an feel the air flow, it seems to me it's decent, but maybe it would need a cleaning. I've just ordered a brush. Can't hurt.
Jim_Lafleur  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 15, 2017 8:10:32 AM(UTC)
Jim_Lafleur

My wife lost patience. She went out and bought a brand new dryer. End of story. :D
Jim_Lafleur  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 17, 2017 5:14:15 PM(UTC)
Jim_Lafleur

Any how. Thanks for your help ThatGuy. I appreciate it. I wish I could've fix this dryer, but I guess we can't win all the games. It was worth playing it though. I've learn a thing or two while doing it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply