Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jskocdopole  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 24, 2017 6:08:53 PM(UTC)
jskocdopole

Groups: Registered

My top load roper RTW4340sq0 is starting to make a banging noise when the spin cycle is stopping. It doesn't happen all the time, it seems to happen with heavier loads. I've done some research and the most common things I see is replacing the clutch, basket drive, and/or the basket drive block. I just wanted some input on which one it is or if I should just replace all three while I have it apart since the washer is about 11 years old. Everything else works fine, the agitator moves and the basket spins fine with no additional noise.

Thank you
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 25, 2017 10:14:02 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Does it happen just as the washer finishes its spin? Its probably the brakes grabbing and stopping too soon.

Parts for Roper RTW4340SQ0: Brake and Drive Tube Parts - AppliancePartsPros.com

Whirlpool told me to spray a little WD40 on a rag and wipe the inside of the drum so the brakes will not stick, but instead slow down smoothly.
jskocdopole  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 7:30:49 PM(UTC)
jskocdopole

Thanks I'll check that out, I think at this point I'm just going to order a spanner wrench and take a look at things. Its not that bad to take the washer apart. It will beat guessing then getting the wrong thing.
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 9:36:00 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I was a service tech. for Whirlpool for more than 20 years. I was trying to help you diagnose your problem. A brake that grabs doesn't really require any new parts, just some WD40.
jskocdopole  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 1, 2017 1:54:19 PM(UTC)
jskocdopole

I wasn't discounting what you said, I was just saying I wanted to see what was wrong instead of going off a sound. It ended up being that the basket drive block was worn out and was skipping over the nubs it grabs on to. I still cleaned everything else while I had it apart. I worked industrial matanance for ten years so I took a concencus of many different forums then descided it was easier just to see what was going on. I still appreciate the time you took to post you diagnosis. :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply