Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cslee  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2017 1:04:03 PM(UTC)
cslee

Groups: Registered

Hi,
My 7cu GE chest freezer sudden stopped cooling. Compressor not running. Since I was not home, someone removed all the food out and unplugged it temporary. When plugged back in, it still did not restart.

So when I got back home, I had a look at it and following many youtube videos I checked the compressor, start relay and overload. All seems fine. I then switched off the thermostat and unplugged it temporarily. When plugged back in and turn up the thermostat, it started running.

Does any one knows why it quit running? I dont want to put food in it until I figure out what caused it and fix it. It cooled well over night, it is now at 0F.

thanks,

chin
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

PNWDrew  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 9, 2017 11:23:00 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

Quick guess? Thermostat. There's really nothing else. No defrost timer. These are extremely similar to a Frigidaire and Kenmore model, enough so that they may come from the same unnamed chinese factory. I've seen a few of those thermostats fail early, unfortunately I've ordered them but coworkers returned to install them so I don't know if there's anything difficult about the job.

If the compressor restarted the relay and overload are probably ok. Let it run for a while and listen for it starting the compressor to maintain temp, if it is not clicking off on the overload that's pretty good evidence that the compressor is healthy.

While you're testing if you stop and restart the compressor quickly it may hit the overload a few times but after being off for 10-15 minutes while pressures to equalize it should be able to start.

If it happens again try tapping the thermostat, if that restarts it that's enough proof for me on this style thermostat.
cslee  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 11, 2017 10:57:50 AM(UTC)
cslee

Here's more observation. When running current measure is about 1.3A. If I then turn the thermostat to off and quickly on again, the compressor will not run, current goes up to 8A for a few seconds and something clicks and currents fall to 0A. It will not restart anymore. But If I turn off thermostat and unplug power and wait a few seconds, the compressor can restart. Any further ideas?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply