Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fatherof3  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 7, 2017 2:11:21 PM(UTC)
Fatherof3

Groups: Registered

Hello all im trying to figure out whats wrong with my dryer it will work fine sometimes and sometimes it will not turn but i hear the motor humm and if i manualy spin the drum by hand while it hums it starts to run fine any ideas??
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

PNWDrew  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 7, 2017 9:19:30 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

Groups: Registered

You probably need a new motor, sounds like the start winding is failing. Your description of hand starting it is a classic diagnosis technique. If you can continue to get it to work this way there's no issue. The motor has a thermal safety that would power it down until it cooled if you let it hum for several minutes.
As long as the drum turns easily by hand I'd say motor. Objects stuck in the blower can mimic the issue but usually make noise.

Other than getting the blower wheel off it isn't a hard repair. It isn't uncommon to have to break the blower off the old motor, and the plastic blower is very tough. A 1/2" drive ratchet should remove the blower, and it is probably reverse thread but it's 50/50 on whether you can get it off the proper way. If you have time to repeatedly spray it over a few days with a penetrating oil such as WD-40, LiquidWrench or Aerokroil you may be lucky.

http://www.appliancepartspros.c...or-279787-ap3094233.html
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply