Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jessicam  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 7, 2017 8:11:30 PM(UTC)
Jessicam

Groups: Registered

Model frs23r4cb2 Frigidaire refrigerator not defrosting properly. The evaporator coils frost over and the ice and water maker stopped working. If I unplug and defrost for a day the water works for approximately 1/2 a day till it freezes again. Food in the bottom drawers in the refrigerator freeze whole the freezer doesn't seem to be cold enough. I have replaced the defrost thermostat and tested the heater which tested good for continuity. Also when I turn the temperature control knob on the freezer I hear a click but no click when I turn the refrigerator control knob.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

PNWDrew  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 8, 2017 8:30:00 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

When you say the evap coils frost over do you mean fully, as in solid frost or just a healthy layer?

This era Frigidaire is pretty well known for defrost control problems. Which can include a range of issues. Sorry to be so vague but without seeing the condition of the evap it's hard to say whether it is defrosting. Can you pull rear panel of freezer off after a few days of it running for us to see? All the symptoms you describe could be due to a failed adaptive defrost control.

Frigidaire 5303918476 Adaptive Defrost Control Board - AppliancePartsPros.com

However the fridge cold control could be bad and failing to close the damper. Or the damper itself could be stuck open. If the damper doesn't close the fridge side gets too cold. The water stops because all water in the system passes through a tank in the back bottom of fridge side. It's actually a coil of tubing. If it freezes no water moves through to dispenser or icemaker.

Get a few pics of the evaporator behind rear freezer wall after it has run for a few days and post if you can. I'd like to know if it is defrosting properly.
Jessicam  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 9, 2017 4:09:24 AM(UTC)
Jessicam

Unfortunately I have the refrigerator unplugged and in pieces at the moment. The coils were completely frosted over and ice hanging off the defrost thermostat when I pulled the cover off. I did try one thing I read about clicking the light switch 6 times quickly to bi pass the control and make it go into defrost. I did this and the evaporator fan kicked on but I waited 15 mins and the heater had still not warmed up. I pulled the heater out and tested it but it shows it has continuity.
PNWDrew  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 9, 2017 6:05:40 AM(UTC)
PNWDrew

If I saw that level of frost I'd assume the ADC was bad. It's pretty common.

Use the resistance function for a deeper test of that element. I'm not sure of exact value of the top of my head but I'd expect over 30 ohms. At room temp the defrost thermostat will be open so if testing through that you'll see INF or OL or whatever your meter shows as an open circuit.

The ADC is up in the control box and determines when to defrost, it controls fan, compressor, element etc. The parts diagrams here include a wiring diagram so you can see what circuits the ADC controls.

Make sure your freezer door seal is intact also as an abundance of room air being pulled in can mimic some aspects of a failure to defrost.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply