Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ab72  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 7, 2017 7:53:33 PM(UTC)
ab72

Groups: Registered

I have a Kitchen Aid side by side. I have an issue with the ice dispenser. For some time, the ice door to the dispenser has not consistently closed fully every time it is used. When the door doesn't completely close, it allows air up into the freezer and the ice melts partly and creates ice dams in the chute and the ice bin. Over time, this melting has created rust on the augur motor shaft and other metal parts of the ice bin. I have cleaned the shaft and other parts, but the ice bin will no longer fully seat on the shaft and lock down on the housing on the freezer door. As a consequence, the auger will not engage, though the motor is working fine.
So the questions are, what needs to be replaced? Will replacing the ice door motor fix that problem? For the auger, does the shaft need to be replaced? I was also wondering also how to disassemble the door to get to the ice door motor. Any help would be very welcome.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

PNWDrew  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 10, 2017 7:37:55 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

I've never had to pull this dispenser asm out, but my usual approach is to pull on the bottom edge of the user interface panel and see if there's any movement, the top edge is definitely held in by tabs you'll want to keep intact if possible. There are so many variations on how to get UI panels off. On the parts diagram there's a reference to a control panel screw #8, that may release bottom edge, it may just be poorly named in the diagram.
If you see movement from bottom edge try pulling it straight up and see if bottom lip of panel comes free. After that the rest will probably be pretty obvious.
As to why it isn't closing take some pics as (if) you can get it apart, they'll help in reassembly too.
Sorry I can't be more specific but many times we have to just figure it out as we go, too many designs.
I'll look for a service manual when I get back to work, maybe it'll have better instructions.
ab72  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 11, 2017 7:02:29 AM(UTC)
ab72

Thank you for the reply. I figured out the augur issue. The shaft had come up out of the motor because the shaft had rusted to the augur in the ice bucket and when I removed the bucket, the shaft came up with it. I had to remove the motor so I could re-engage the shaft.

For the dispenser assembly, there is no escutcheon surrounding it, so that is the reason I'm having a problem figuring out how to get to the dispenser door. The stainless steel wraps around and goes into the dispenser assembly. From what I can see, it appears I'd have to remove the outer stainless steel door cover to access the dispenser. This seems like a crazy way to have to access it, so I'm hoping I'm just missing something. I have uploaded pictures, which I hope show the issue well. I removed four screws that attach the stainless steel to the dispenser (the holes are visible in the pictures). There are screws along the outer edge of the stainless steel and on the bottom and top of the door. There are none on the inboard side of the door, that surface is totally smooth, no screws or molding.
ab72 attached the following image(s):
File Jun 11, 9 36 43 AM.jpg
File Jun 11, 9 37 00 AM.jpeg
File Jun 11, 9 37 13 AM.jpeg
File Jun 11, 9 37 24 AM.jpg
PNWDrew  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 11, 2017 10:06:21 AM(UTC)
PNWDrew

I see your dilemma there. I'll have to see if a service manual is available tomorrow when I'm back at work as I'm just not familiar enough with this to even make a guess without being hands on. Built-ins are somewhat rare around here and I don't see that many. I think the only one like yours I recall seeing was a whole new control board up top.
Short of bending the tabs I don't see how you could get that inner frame out without the wrapper coming off. I'd be nervous about bending the tabs as that rounded edge will show any distortions I caused.

I'd hope they don't require door wrapper to come off but as these are also made to accept cabinet fronts that may be. If I find anything I'll post back.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply