Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
eads@cfl.rr.com  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 27, 2017 8:14:59 AM(UTC)
eads@cfl.rr.com

Groups: Registered

Our fridge and freezer were completely warm the other morning. Lights were on, but no fans or cooling sounds. After about an hour, it started working.
Ran fine for 3 days. Last night, we were watching and noticed it went into defrost and we saw the dripping water into the defrost pan and felt heat at the back on the freezer. All good. About an hour later, we noticed the defrost heat had stopped but it hadn't started cooling again.
This morning, still not cooling. I turned the circuit breaker off for about 2 minutes then on and still no cooling. I then changed the temperature settings to maximum warm then maximum cool and bingo, the cooling started.
We had thought the defrost was stuck in his cycle but now I am thinking it may be something else as my messing with the temperature settings seemed to bring it back to life.
Any advice you can give will help. I can't afford to replace parts that may not be needed.
Thank you, Kimberly Eads
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 27, 2017 8:25:43 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hello, Kimberly.

So far is not clear which part is responsible for this failure. It can be the cold control (thermostat) as well as the adaptive defrost control.
At this time you can replace both of them (if you don't like to risk with your food) or you can wait until it will happen again and at that time, using something like screwdriver handle, tap on the temperature control knob.
If the refrigerator will restart, the cold control (thermostat) would need to be replaced.
Otherwise, the adaptive defrost control is the culprit.

The cold control Part number: AP6006166
Part number: AP6006166

The adaptive defrost control Part number: AP3109394
Part number: AP3109394

Good luck.
eads@cfl.rr.com  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 28, 2017 3:47:59 AM(UTC)
eads@cfl.rr.com

Groups: Registered

I didn't take the cover off of that area, but I did a gentle thump to the whole panel that holds these two parts and the cooling starts again.
So now I know a bad cold control can start working if you tap it, is that true for the ADC? If you were to thump the ADC, would that cause the cooling to start? I will remove the cover and then wait for it to fail. Then by tapping the specific part, see which responds.
Thank you so much, Kimberly
Gene  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 28, 2017 6:53:38 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You are welcome.

If it would respond to tapping then more likely the cold control is the culprit. If you order it from AppliancePartsPros.com and it would not fix the problem, you can easy return it.
thanks 1 user thanked Gene for this useful post.
Itsme2 on 12/1/2022(UTC)