Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ranbo108  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 3, 2017 8:34:26 AM(UTC)
ranbo108

Groups: Registered

While working on my plumbing, a pipe burst sending a shower of water onto the washing machine control panel. After this, my wife tried to use the Regular function of the washer and we no longer have any response from the "Regular" or "Perm Prest" washer keys on the touchpad. All was working fine before this and all other functions still work including the dryer keys. I have inspected the board and touchpad, cleaned the contacts and applied dielectric grease to all connections with no success. I've had a similar problem in the past with other less important keys and was able to correct it by simply cleaning the ribbon cable recepticle and using DE grease. Not this time though...

I work in machinery maintenance and have been keeping this old machine going for 20 years (1985 build date). New motor and pump within the last 5 years. Can you offer any suggestions beside "buy a new one"? ;)

PS- If there is an electrical schematic for the touchpad and board, I could likely figure a way to bypass the bad keys (if that is what's wrong) THANKS!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

PNWDrew  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 3, 2017 8:12:45 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

That's an old one... I'm digging through my memory and I believe that on that ribbon cable there is a separate circuit for each button, sharing a common wire one one end. If you count the available buttons and it matches the wires in the cable that is it. From there you could check continuity to ID each circuit and maybe remap a button to mean normal or perm press if those are preferred cycles.

Alternatively you may be able to peel the overlay and access the actual button contacts but that is very risky. Me? I'd just choose a diffferent cycle and move on, there is little difference in cycles, just how long they agitate/spin and how vigorously.
ranbo108  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 4, 2017 1:08:58 AM(UTC)
ranbo108

Thanks, Drew for the quick response. So, you're thinking the touchpad took a hit? That was my thought as well. It just didn't seem like water could get in between the films. I actually have located a touchpad NOS for like $142 and might go for it. I'd really like to test it first, if that's possible.

Question: Are the buttons simply momentary contact type that could be checked for continuity?

It seems to me that there are a few more keys than there are ribbon cable leads but I'd have to check that. Thanks!

UserPostedImage
PNWDrew  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 4, 2017 6:01:44 AM(UTC)
PNWDrew

It does look like buttons are not 1:1 with cables so there may be a PCB behind it that is interpreting the button push and sending that along. If so that is more difficult to test.
I'd have to have it in hand to see if it seemed to come apart farther for deeper inspection.
If your wife truly "needs" those cycles I guess you have little choice but to try. Worst case you stilll order the replacement, best case you find internal corrosion or other fixable issue.
ranbo108  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 4, 2017 11:14:30 AM(UTC)
ranbo108

Check out this link if you ever need a manual for these dinosaurs. It's what I've been praying for.

Maytag Stacked Washer Dryer S1000 Service Manual
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply