Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
silentrunningpc  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 8:38:08 PM(UTC)
silentrunningpc

Groups: Registered

We have a Whirlpool washing machine LA7899XPW3 that just began making grinding/slipping noises when the agitator is agitating. The machine is probably about 30 years old

My first step in researching the problem lead me to believe that the agitator dogs were the culprit. However, an exploded parts list and physical removal of the agitator itself shows that this model does not use agitator dogs. (Perhaps the development of replaceable agitator dogs was in response to making machines more easily repairable?)

As a test, I ran a cycle with the machine empty and without the agitator installed - the noise s disappeared. The spline connection to the agitator does not appear to be stripped or loose, so I am currently of the belief that the transmission is the problem (worn gearing that strips under an increased load?)

Does anyone have prior experience with this type of issue and can confirm my thoughts or suggest a different solution?

Thank You
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.