Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PhilippeB  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 13, 2017 11:59:34 AM(UTC)
PhilippeB

Groups: Registered

Hi everybody, I'm gonna have another annoying vague question about heat.

It's about an electric Samsung dryer, age unknown (came with the house), probably 5-10 years judging at how scuffed/peeled of it is.

It stopped heating, and the heating element was burned with a broken coil. Replaced it with one ordered on Amazon, kept the original thermostat and thermal fuse that had continuity.

Now dryer heats fine but it is pretty hot to the touch on the side panel while it operates, next to where the heating element is. As in "you can touch it but have to take out your hand after 1 or 2 sec" when it's the hottest.

Question: is this normal? I don't have a reference point, I don't think I've ever touched the side of the dryer during a cycle.

Additional info:
- cleaned all the vent (the flex one and the 10 ft one going out of the house), there was some lint but not really blocked
- temperature measurements without the vent behind the dryer seems fine: about 155°F on high and 120°F on low.
- it seems it was fairly constant during the whole cycle (I thought it was cycling through higher/lower temperature, could be be at 100% the whole time, hence getting too hot?)
- I rewired it the same way but the heating posts and thermal fuse had to clear marking on them and may have been flipped (I took them out to test them), so not sure if these things are reversible

It feels like the heating element isn't isolated enough from the side frame and making it hot by contact through its metal case. I might be paranoid, I'm just wondering if the issue that caused the previous heating element to burn with a broken coil has not been resolved and I'd like to make sur it doesn't burned down the house :)

Thanks for any pointers
Philippe
PhilippeB attached the following image(s):
IMG_20170410_153542 (Large).jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.