Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SWWwhirlpool  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 8:21:31 AM(UTC)
SWWwhirlpool

Groups: Registered

I have a Whirlpool washer: WTW5200SQ0 that has been experiencing a problem I haven't been able to find much information on. I am confident it is not the lid switch.

Occasionally, the washer would stop after wash (or sometimes rinse) cycle and wouldn't drain. I disassembled the machine and looked at the pump, impeller, hoses - I didn't find a clog. Then I noticed that the problem would occur after rinse cycle as well occasionally - no drain. I suspected that it might be timer related, and opening and closing the lid and unplugging and re-plugging in the machine would sometimes cause the cycle to start and the machine would enter drain and spin. Then I found it was more successful if I would wiggle the basket when it stops - this would often cause the machine to enter drain/spin cycle after a minute or so. There is no issue with agitate - agitate is working fine as far as I can tell.

Now, I've found that I can increase the chances that the machine will run a complete wash cycle if I grab the basket and rotate it slightly clockwise about an inch or two while the machine is filling at the beginning of the cycle. Sometimes, however, the machine will stop after wash or rinse, and I will grab the basket and rotate it slightly clockwise and the cycle will finish.

When it fails to drain/spin, I can hear the motor hum and then it will stop and retry in a couple of minutes. So lately I've been trying to make sure I'm present whenever the machine goes into spin/drain, and IF it fails, I will open the lid (which stops the machine), grab the basket and rotate it slightly. It will always succeed after doing this.

I've looked at dozens of forums and advice and haven't really found anything so far.

To summarize:
- Drain/spin fails occasionally
- Chances of completing a full cycle are more likely if I grab the basket and rotate it clockwise at the beginning of a cycle during fill.
- Rotating the basket slightly will always succeed in the cycle finishing if it fails
- Lid switch is fine. No clog in pump or hoses.
- Motor will hum when drain/spin fails

Could this be the clutch? What am I doing when rotating the basket that's helping with drain/spin? Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.