Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jackie_Treehorn  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2017 4:05:59 AM(UTC)
Jackie_Treehorn

Groups: Registered

Recently, our refrigerator with bottom freezer stopped cooling properly. With the thermostat set on its default position of 4, the freezer unit temperature raised to above 35 degrees and the fresh food section raised to above 50 degrees.

After doing all of the items below, I've since plugged the unit back in to monitor its status. The unit is empty currently except for two gallons of water in the fresh food section and two gallons of water in the freezer section. The unit will not operate properly at the default temperature settings as it has for years. It's cool, but not cold. In the default temperature setting the fresh food area is about 57 degrees. The freezer is about 20 degrees. If I turn the thermostat to 7, the coldest setting, the unit will in fact, cool both sections to their proper temperatures. Fresh food about 37 degrees. Freezer to about 2 degrees. FYI. I'm taking the temperatures in the fresh food section using a quality meat thermometer sticking it into the jugs of water. I'm using an outdoor thermometer sensor in the freezer section.

Here are some of the things I've done since:

Thoroughly cleaned the condenser coils under the unit. It was dirty to be sure, but now they are perfectly clean. I took the whole unit outside and used an air compressor to clean everything.

Checked to make sure all of the fans are operating. They are. The compressor fan is running fine as well as the condenser fan in the freezer section.

Pulled the rear panel off from the inside of the freezer to inspect the evaporator coils to confirm they are free of ice. They are free of any ice buildup even after running the unit for days now on thermostat setting 7.

I've also checked the compressor windings with a multimeter and other parts associated with starting the compressor. They seem to be just fine as the compressor is starting and running just fine.

So here I am asking what to do next. Thermostat? Thermistor? Coolant system leak?

Thanks appliance parts pros for this forum! Love it.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.