Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DjTrex  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2017 12:48:10 AM(UTC)
DjTrex

Groups: Registered

We started having issues at least 6 months ago. Our clothes started taking 3 full cycles in the dryer to dry. We have checked the washer Whirlpool_WTW58ESVW to see if the clothes were not getting spun dry or if the drain was clogged and causing the clothes to be extra wet thus causing them to take multiple cycles to dry. We opened the guts of the washer and there were no clogs. We tried doing a second spin cycle that resulted in very little improvement. We are getting heat from the dryer but it seems to be less HOT then before. The clothes used to be very hot when they came out. That has not been the case recently. Tonight we took off the vents and cleaned them again. There was some buildup in the elbow junction in the wall that goes up and out the roof.

Side note: There was some wet lint in that junction. It was not soaked through so i'm guessing it is just a drip. I'm guessing there may be a leak on the roof. I will have to get the HOA to inspect it.

There was no lint in the inner shoot in the dryer. There was a little buildup in the hose but it was far from plugged.

I am guessing it is either the heating element is less efficient or I would assume there is a blower that blows air over the heating coils and into the dryer tub, this blower could be out. I'm not sure how to test the blower airflow since i can't open the door without the dryer stopping.

Any suggestions?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

PNWDrew  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2017 7:49:05 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

Groups: Registered

This is a routine issue and a major source of wasted energy and increased risk. You've got a blocked vent probably. Wet lint in the vent line is indicative of this issue, the moisture condenses out as the stagnant air cools. It'll be somewhere in your wall or at the roof vent.
Heating elements don't really get less efficient, nor do blowers.

You can test this by running the dryer disconnected from the wall vent, if drying seems to recover you've got a blocked vent. You shouldn't run it this way for long as fine dust does escape the filter and will get all over the house and in your lungs. 1 cycle of a light load is ok, more than that I wouldn't risk.

It needs only to heat and move the moist air out. If you really want to be sure go to your local hardware store and ask them for a temp probe that you can insert into the filter area and watch the temps change. It'll be part of a multimeter set probably, often called a type K sensor and should be pretty inexpensive.
Start it empty on med heat, it'll heat until that temp setting is met and turn off the element. At that point it'll be pulling in room air and should cool about 2 deg F/second. If it takes a long time to get to temp or cool off you've got poor airflow.
If your HOA is paying for this kind of thing then make them handle it all, I love to charge building maintenance my $80 diag fee to tell them to do a basic maintenance task and call someone to clean their dryer vents.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply