Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RCHD1  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2017 9:09:22 PM(UTC)
RCHD1

Groups: Registered

I just purchased this dryer, 02/18/2017, from a reputable sales/repair store that was supposed to have reconditioned everything necessary and readied it for the showroom for sale. It looks brand new, save a couple of small scratches. I don't know the exact age. I don't have the manual, but have downloaded the manual for the GFDN170 which looks nearly identical.

Here is what's going on. When machine is plugged in to wall outlet, all the lights on the control panel flash and those that are supposed to be numbers or letters say 88. Interior light comes on, and is activated by door switch without fail. Door closure holds tightly, no problem. The first thing I did was, leave machine plugged in and shut off breaker for several minutes. It did not help.

What else I've done:
1) Checked outlet - Good to go.
2) Checked the cord - good to go.
3) Checked for power at the terminal block: L1 to L2 tests 240v, L1 to N tests 120, and L2 to N tests 120. Ground is connected solidly as are all cord leads.
4) Pressed and held the Level and Temp buttons simultaneously hoping I might get machine to kick out of what looks like a "Diagnostics mode". It switched from "88" to "_ _". (honestly I didn't know if it would do anything)
5) Pressed the Level and Temp buttons independently, the underscores changed to "1 or 0" each time I pressed them.
6) Pressed Pause button, and "1 or 0" changed to "9 or E".
7) Pressed power button periodically throughout, nothing happened.

At that point, I unplugged the machine for a while and replugged. Right back to "88". It looks like a nice machine, it has good reviews online, and it fits perfectly in the spot and does not block my Manifold for my water distribution in home. I'd like to keep it if I can because I got it for about $300 - 400 less than everywhere else that is selling it. I'm just wondering is this something fast and inexpensive, or am I going to have to get GE to fix it? If someone could help me get my picture straight before I have to take it back down my stairs for a refund or call someone to operate, I would greatly appreciate your professional opinions.

Thank you, Ralph Hughes
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.