Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pwspas  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2017 4:33:26 PM(UTC)
pwspas

Groups: Registered

Our washing machine seems to get stuck at various portions of the cleaning cycle.

It started when I walked by the unit and I could hear a motor running but I saw the barrel was not spinning, I watched it for about a minute and never saw it spin, I assumed the belt had snapped and unplugged the unit.

I opened up the back and found a perfectly intact belt, I started a test load where I manually spun the timer dial through some of the basic modes, fill with water, drain, spin, etc. All the different parts seemed to work correctly, it quickly filled with water, during agitation modes the barrel would spin, and during drain I visually confirmed lots of water being dumped.

I started another test load, this time I started it and walked away, came back about 20-30 minutes later and found it half way through the total wash cycle with that "motor" running sound. I now think the drain part of the cycle is where it is getting stuck and after all the water is gone that pump just sits there and continues to run and that is what I'm actually hearing.

I also noticed that if I manually turn the timer to the end, the buzzer will go off and continue for over a minute until I manually turn the dial a little more, I'm not sure how long that buzzer sounds but a more than a minute seemed long.

So I'm looking for some feedback if it sounds correct that the timer has failed and is getting stuck sometimes, looks like part #137394200?

Thank you for any assistance.
-Amos
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

pwspas  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2017 10:25:23 AM(UTC)
pwspas

Does anyone have any feedback? I'm hoping for a little second opinion before spending the $160 on the part.
PNWDrew  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2017 8:43:59 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

OK some basic diag.
1) It does or does not actually spin at high speeds?
2) It just drains and then sits? Or tumbles?
3) If when it is not advancing you stop it and advance the timer one click then restart it will it proceed?
If no spin ever (actual spin, not tumble) I'd suspect the lock before the timer. It requires a fully locked door prior to spinning and the locks are very common.

But a clogged pressure hose could behave similar to what you describe. It's the long black hose that comes up to the round device on the frame. Disconnect it from the switch nipple and blow into it, air should move freely.

I've changed a few timers in the frigidaire versions of these but they are not common.
pwspas  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 9:36:00 AM(UTC)
pwspas

Thank you for the reply,

1)It does seem to be able to achieve a high speed spin cycle, If I manually turn the dial to right before the final high spin, within a minute or so it begins to ramp up the speed on the tub, pretty slowly, but I suspect that is supposed to be a slow start since it does get pretty fast.

2)If I turn on the normal wash cycle the one place it always seems to "hang" is right after the first drain. I visually watched it fill about half way with water, tumble back and forth for a little, then pump out the water to waste. This is where is seems to hang the first time, if I walk away and come back 4-5 minutes later I can still hear the waste pump draining even though there is no water left in the tub. So at this point it will be just sitting, not moving, with the drain pump running. Since it seems to drain the tub in about 30-40 seconds it running for minutes on end seems like too long to me.

3)Yes, if i manually turn the dial to the next "click" the washer continues on with the next "segment": fill, drain, tumble, spin, whatever the next position may be.

I suspected the lock since it seemed like a common part, but it really seems to be functioning, the only "funny" thing is when I manually advance the dial to a completed wash, the "door lock" light will turn off, but I still can't open the door for another 30 seconds or so (that may be normal behavior that I have never realized)

I also removed the fill valve to test the coil and see if there was any clogs in the supply hose, that all looked like it should, and the tub seems to fill pretty quickly when in that position.

I have not done anything with the pressure switch, you are recommending removing it from the pressure switch nipple and I should be able to blow air down the line, I will test that today. I will get back with results.

Thank you again
-Amos
PNWDrew  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 4, 2017 2:47:59 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

That is indeed the normal lock behavior. if you were watching it from inside you'd see an arm slowly retract from the locked position.

Your options that I can think of are pretty much the timer and the pressure switch or hose. The hose is a little of a long shot but it is quick so worth trying. A clogged hose will never tell the machine that it is empty so to advance the timer. You are lucky if that is the problem and that is how it behaves. It could also never tell the machine that it was full and flood your place.
pwspas  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 7, 2017 1:43:02 PM(UTC)
pwspas

So I was able to remove the small black hose from the pressure switch, I gave it a gentle blow and it had no resistance to speak of. I connected it back up and started a load with just a towel in there, this time I ran the "Knits/Delicates" mode (we usually only use "normal wash" mode) and it reacted (stopped) in the same way.

It seemed to fill the tub fine, start agitating back and forth, then drained tub, and then just sat "draining" the tub (I can hear the pump running) even though the water had been gone for many minutes.

I purchased a pressure switch (only $25) and will replace that when it arrives.

I will post a reply once I'm able to run a load after install.
pwspas  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 13, 2017 10:15:43 AM(UTC)
pwspas

Well still no luck, I replaced the pressure switch. The washer still hangs at the first water drain.

It is a little confusing because it seems to work when I manually pass this first water drain, if the timer was the problem it seems like it would stop more frequently.

Any more ideas?
pwspas  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 31, 2017 3:33:27 PM(UTC)
pwspas

Well I figured the last part that it could be was the motor control board, doing a part number search on a certain auction site found me a used one "that was working correctly when removed", used it was only $40 and in fact yes, that was the problem. Finally ran some laundry today and everything worked as it should.
Thank you for all the help.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply