Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
KatieWisc  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 12:56:56 PM(UTC)
KatieWisc

Groups: Registered

I have a Samsung Steam Dryer (Gas)
Model DV338AGW

• No obstructions in the duct

• We start a load of wet laundry and choose any heat setting. Starts fine, hear the fire ignite.

• At some point in the cycle, we discover that the heat has stopped and the load is, now, essentially air drying. We try to start the load again. After pressing Start, the dryer begins to turn as usual.... but, about 15 seconds in, we hear a click click click click click and at the same time, there is an orange glow (below the drum, left side).... the clicking stops and the dryer continues to air dry without heat.

• At this point, if we try an air only setting, we do not hear the clicking.

• If we let the dryer sit for a long period of time (more than an hour) and we attempt drying again with heat, it does start up normally (we hear the blower ignite) and it does create heat. But again, it stops heating at some point in the cycle.

Some history on the machine - we did get this machine used. It is in great condition otherwise. The first load we tried in this machine dried perfectly.

Any ideas what would cause the heat to stop blowing midway through? I cannot find anything on Google. Thank you!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

PNWDrew  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2017 7:11:09 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

This is a gas dryer? If so it sounds like your coils in the gas valve have failed or are failing. As they fail they will often open the valve the first few times and then become unreliable.
Once you get your model # I'll be able to tell you how to replace, I'm not sure if the coils come separately on Samsung.
KatieWisc  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 26, 2017 5:44:57 PM(UTC)
KatieWisc

Yes, this is a gas dryer.
Model # is Samsung DV338AGW.

We have now tried replacing the thermistor and the thermal fuse, but still no luck. It's driving us crazy.

Thank you for any help you can provide!
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 1:20:55 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
PNWDrew is probably right. Its most likely the gas valve coils. What happens is this, one of the coils gets a hairline crack in its winding. When its cold it functions and opens the gas valve, When the coil winding gets hot it opens and no more gas till it cools back down. Eventually it will just fail all together.

This is the parts diagram.

Parts for Samsung DV338AGW/XAA-0000 / : Heater Assy Parts - AppliancePartsPros.com

Its part of 3-4 assembly

Samsung DC62-00201A Valve - AppliancePartsPros.com

I can't see why these wouldn't work. Most appliance manufacturers make separate coils you can replace, why Samsung doesn't list them is beyond me.

Whirlpool 279834 Dryer Gas Valve Coil Kit - AppliancePartsPros.com
KatieWisc  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 30, 2017 5:40:58 PM(UTC)
KatieWisc

To the user THAT GUY:
THANK YOU for your input and advice because it worked!! I am on my third load of laundry and it's pumping heat consistently. Thank you thank you thank you! :):):)

For others:
The part I purchased for my DV388AGW Samsung Steam dryer:
"AP3094251 GAS DRYER COILS FOR MAYTAG AMANA ROPER ESTATE WHIRLPOOL KENMORE
"

Purchased on ******** for $7 + free shipping. This part # apparently fits on many makes/models.Comes with two little black/white cylinders. Very easy to replace. When taking off the old ones, don't forget to keep the little metal spacer (on the bigger, 3-prong one) because the replacements will not come with one.In all, I spent ~$24 on a thermistor and thermal fuse (didn't fix the issue) and another $7 on the gas valve coils.

$31 to fix the dryer - could not be happier!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply