Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jpregler  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 6, 2017 7:28:07 PM(UTC)
Jpregler

Groups: Registered

I have a GE WHSB9000B0WW washing machine that is about 13-14 years old. I haven't had any issues with it until recently when I noticed a little bit of water by one of the front feet. I wasn't sure where it came from, but then I noticed that at the end of the cycle, the drum wouldn't stop spinning, except when gravity eventually stopped it. When the entire spin cycle is done, the drum usually stops within 3-4 seconds. Now it just spins until it naturally comes to a rest. I also noticed that it does the same thing after the first drain/spin cycle. It is still spinning when it is filling the drum during the rinse. I think that it why I see a bit of water, because as the drum is finished spinning the machine is filling it back up, thus splashing occurs. Any ideas? I know it isn't the machine that keeps it spinning. Is there a brake that is wore or is it a sensor or something electronic? I tried to do a search in these threads and I didn't see my same issue. It looks like sometimes people have issues with the drum spinning, not the other way around. Thanks!

Joe
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

PNWDrew  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2017 11:07:22 AM(UTC)
PNWDrew

Yes there is a brake. It is part of the transmission and brake assembly however.
You can open the front of this quite easily with a putty knife or any similar tool. Here's a youtube vid of it. Ignore the part about removing the console you do not need to do that 1st. The front panel comes off without removing the lid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJBdwhGqL4Y

The transmission spins so don't get your fingers or hands into its area if the machine is spinning or about to spin. Start it in drain and spin, once spinning open the lid, this should stop it. The motor and belt pulleys will stop. If the trans continues to turn and coasts to a stop that's not right. You need a new transmission.

At this age it really depends on your willingness to do the work as cost to repair is high enough to push many into replacing the machine. I'm generally all for repairing due to the low quality of new machines. It's not particularly hard but I've done 100's so I may have forgotten my 1st. The only part a non-pro would find hard is the hub nut as it is far larger than most tool kits will handle. The rest is just following directions.

Note: There's always some suds overflow in the base plan so water there or evidence of it isn't a good thing to base a decision on. If water is actively coming down the main central shaft as it is running that is bad.
Jpregler  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 6:54:48 AM(UTC)
Jpregler

Thanks for the reply. Definitely sounds like a transmission.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply