Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
alcove  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2017 7:32:06 AM(UTC)
alcove

Groups: Registered

Hi Folks, Older single-agitator washer is knocking during the agitation cycle under full load. You can see the agitator stop and start as the knock comes and goes. It appears that some gear is slipping under a load. Does not yet slip with light load. I have not been able to find the exact condition in my internet searches.

Here's a short youtube video of the problem: https://youtu.be/nMA_www5XN4

Washer is working fine in all other cycles. Worth fixing?

Thanks
Pete
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2017 1:56:11 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Hey Pete, I hate to say it, but it probably not worth fixing. The old WP belt drives were great machines and very durable, but most of them died long ago. Yours is slipping in the transmission. Probably the gears are worn out.

I enjoyed your video. Its cool to see one kind of working. Yours is around 30 years old.
alcove  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2017 4:27:32 AM(UTC)
alcove

Thanks ThatGuy, Oh, its a belt drive? Yes, it's close to 30. Bought it new with the dryer. Never had a single problem with them, but oddly, yesterday the dryer made a horrible new whining sound! Like the old couples you read about that die together. But the dryer prob is just a seized drum roller, which i've already ordered from this site. Many thanks for your help. You've saved me a lot of time and money.
Keep on, Pete
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2017 7:47:00 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

The sad thing is these new machines will be lucky to last 10 years. Plastic upon plastic. Sure they are efficient, but the durability is pretty much gone.
alcove  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 7, 2017 3:50:24 PM(UTC)
alcove

Thanks Mr Guy, After researching washers, and coming to the same conclusion, I was just checking back with you to ask if you have a recommendation for a replacement. I don't know if you ever do that. It's very discouraging to see what's available! I'm leaning toward a Whirlpool Cabrio WTW7000DW HE top loader. Hopefully, something i can service myself in the future.
btw: your estimate of 30 yrs age was spot on. Found the receipt dtd Oct 1986. You're good!
-Pete
ThatGuy  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 7, 2017 6:33:23 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

I'm not the best guy to ask about the new machines. I haven't bought a new machine since 1982. All my stuff is what is known as "design 2000" series.

They were pretty good Whirlpool washers built from around 1988 on up. Top loaders with simple designs that are fairly easy to service. Direct drive of the gearcase and the water pump was on the other end of the motor. They are not efficient and use a lot of water, but they also got the clothes clean.

I'm not sure if they still make them, but that is what I would buy.

The washer you picked out is probably fine, I just don't like the agitator design or the tub suspension design much. Take a look at the parts diagram.

Parts for Whirlpool WTW7300XW0: Motor, Basket and Tub Parts - AppliancePartsPros.com

I really don't care for most of the new washers. I'm probably going to keep fixing my washer until I die or the parts are no longer available for it.
alcove  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 9, 2017 5:21:20 AM(UTC)
alcove

Many thanks for your thoughtful reply. The only lure of the new machines is the increased capacity. Perhaps my Imperial 70 might still be working if we didn't have king sized bedding. But I will look at some direct drive machines as per your advice. Cheers, Pete

Originally Posted by: ThatGuy Go to Quoted Post
I'm not the best guy to ask about the new machines. I haven't bought a new machine since 1982. All my stuff is what is known as "design 2000" series.

They were pretty good Whirlpool washers built from around 1988 on up. Top loaders with simple designs that are fairly easy to service. Direct drive of the gearcase and the water pump was on the other end of the motor. They are not efficient and use a lot of water, but they also got the clothes clean.

I'm not sure if they still make them, but that is what I would buy.

The washer you picked out is probably fine, I just don't like the agitator design or the tub suspension design much. Take a look at the parts diagram.

Parts for Whirlpool WTW7300XW0: Motor, Basket and Tub Parts - AppliancePartsPros.com

I really don't care for most of the new washers. I'm probably going to keep fixing my washer until I die or the parts are no longer available for it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply