Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bnweth  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2017 8:29:35 PM(UTC)
bnweth

Groups: Registered

I have an older Maytag LAT8016AAE top load washer that will not spin after the rinse cycle, it just hums, however it will agitate during the wash cycle.. I did some online reading and checked the pump for blockage, but there was none. Further reading pointed me towards the motor. I replaced it today, and still have the same issue. On a side note, I replaced the timer about a year or two ago, so I did not check it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2017 9:21:00 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
If the transmission is locking up or the brake is not releasing, that might be cause of your problem.

Remove all of the water out of the tub. What I usually did was slide the washer out far enough so I could tip it back until the top touched the wall and it would stay balanced against the wall.

Then I would slide my toolbox up against the bottom of the washer to keep it from tipping back forward. You might have to do something with the drain hose if its not long enough.

Once I could get to the bottom of the washer, I would remove both belts. Inspect them for damage and wear.

Then I would rotate the big pulley in the center one way then after a few turns I would rotate it the other way. I can't remember which is which, but one way makes it agitate and the other direction makes it spin.

When it goes into spin, the pulley on the transmission goes up the center shaft and presses against the brake assemble releasing it and then the washer can spin. You should be able to turn it by hand and it should spin.

Watch out for the pulley those inside spokes can be rather sharp. If your pulley won't move after it goes up the shaft or its very hard to turn it could be the thrust bearing, brake assembly, transmission, or main bearings.
bnweth  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2017 11:00:53 AM(UTC)
bnweth

I tried this and it spins in one direction, and moves the agitator in the other as you stated above. I can spin it by hand without a problem. I took the belts off, and set the dial to agitate, and the motor would run, however when I turn it to the spin setting in any of the cycles, it just hums. I checked the lid switch for continunity and it tested fine. It will stop the agitator when the lid is lifted, and it stops the motor hum when it is set to spin cycle, and the lid is lifted. I am leaning towards a problem in the timer? Not sure what else it could be?
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2017 1:42:21 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Yeah, its starting to sound like a timer problem. Unless you have a bad wire between the timer and the motor, its probably the timer.

The good new is you have been doing a pretty good job of trouble shooting. Good luck on the timer.
#5 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2022 7:27:01 AM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have a may tag commercial washer when it went in spin cycle just hums won't spin. Unlocked door, pushed power button it just flashed, finally unplugged and power button still flashed for a few second then washer shut off. Left unplugged alittle while then plugged in ,hit power button, put on drain and spin, sound like alittle water went out but just started humming again. Pushed power button just flashed and would not turn off. Had to unplug, power button light flashed alittle bit then finally shut off. Left unplugged again then replugged to try a different setting, set to normal, sensing light turned on,tub turned a few times then started buzzing again. Unlocked, unlocked and stopped buzzing, hit power button and started buzzing all over again. Had to unplug. Any ideas?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply