Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kevin95630  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2017 3:50:02 PM(UTC)
kevin95630

Groups: Registered

My dishwasher developed a drip leak from the pump assembly. I called the repairman and had the machine pulled out and the bottom access panel removed when he arrived. I pointed him to the leak, and he ran his finger over it and said I need a new motor and pump assembly. I asked him if there wasn't a way to just replace the seals and he said "No."

I later found out he was not being honest about that, and inquired with his company. They said that although there are impeller and seal kits (thank you, I already found that out on my own!), they don't install them because they often fail to fix the problem. No explanation for replacing the motor along with the pump assembly, I guess just because it is 8 years old.

My question is as to whether this idea of the seal kits not being reliable fixes is accurate. I already pulled the parts out and disassembled them. Apart from 8 years worth of gunk that I cleaned out, and the seals which are clearly worn out, the rest of the enclosure could pass for new. No rust. The bearing in the motor spins easily and quietly. The chopper is in good shape.

Have others experienced a problem with the seal kits? And is replacing the motor while there simply a proactive measure, based on its estimated working life?

Second related question. Although the bearing and seals for the motor are not offered by appliance repair outlets, there is a guy selling them on a popular auction site. Is there a good reason not to rebuild the motor? I pulled it apart as well, and it would appear to be an easy task, and it seems odd, other than for financial reasons, that the $10 bearing isn't readily available for folks to revitalize an old motor.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.