Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ryan978  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:23:12 AM(UTC)
Ryan978

Groups: Registered

Hi,

My wife and I just bought a house which came with our KitchenAid washing machine model KAWS777EQ0. We have been washing our clothes and after washing them there is a lot of lint - most noticeable on dark clothes. I have decided I would like to replace the lint screen/filter. After doing some research I see that the original filter part # 3361948 has been replaced by plugs (part # 285868). Picture of the manual below with the original filter circled. My big question is how do you remove the original filter?

UserPostedImage

Before purchasing the filters I decided to remove the agitator and take a peek and see if I had the filters and how difficult it would be to put them in. Below in the picture what I saw, no filters.

UserPostedImage

I see there are no plugs and it appears the original filter is below the basket. In the video on how to install the filter plugs it mentions removing the old filter, but I do not know how to do so and am worried I may be overthinking how to remove it.

I watched the video from the site about replacing the pads and in the video the machine gets disassembled.

Whirlpool 285744 Tub Suspension Pads - AppliancePartsPros.com

Before I purchase anything I want to make sure I understand how to remove the original filter. Do I need to purchase a spanner wrench with the filter plugs in order to remove the original filter or is there an easier way to remove it? I'd like to pull the machine apart once and make sure I have what is necessary before doing so.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 1:11:42 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
The original filter just snaps in the inside of the basket (the part the clothes ride in)

You remove the top of the tub, the agitator, and then the basket. Turn the basket upside down and push in on the four tabs and it should slide up and out of the center hole.

Your machine must be fairly old to still have a filter. They got rid of those fairly early. Mostly because they really didn't help much.

Whirlpool used to tell me if you are having lint problems, you are washing "lint givers" with "lint takers". Or your washing towels that are shedding ahead of clothing that attracts lint.

The lint shouldn't be much of a problem. Usually its flushed away from the clothes and ends up rinsing down the drain. Is your agitator working OK?

Having the tool to remove the nut would be handy, but its not impossible to remove it with a large pair of adjustable pliers and a hammer. Just be careful. Those baskets can get stuck to the drive block and be hard to remove.
Ryan978  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 1:18:03 PM(UTC)
Ryan978

How would I check to see if it's working? I'm about 75% sure it spins. We have done larger and very small loadd (baby clothes) and no matter what black clothes come out loaded with lint. I see alot of people have just changed the filter and it fixed it. I was thinking $30 is a good place to start rather than buy new or pay a repair place as money is tight. I'm not a tech but can turn a wrench on basic machinery
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 2:28:01 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

I thought they got rid of them.

Yours could be plugged up or broken. To find out you are going to need to remove the basket. Once its out you will be able to check its condition.

The were called a self cleaning lint filter. When the washer went into spin, the lint it collected was supposed to come off and be sucked down the drain.
Ryan978  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 3:11:26 PM(UTC)
Ryan978

Thanks for the info! I'm not sure what it should look like as I can't even find a picture of one. If I'm pulling it apart should I just install the plugs while I'm there?
ThatGuy  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 2:07:03 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

Did you watch this video?

Washer Filter Plug Kit (part #285868) - How To Replace

Its worth a try. They are relatively cheap and not too hard to get to.

The big part (9) in the parts diagram is what I was talking about. I don't think any of the newer machines even have them anymore. If your machine was 20 years old maybe. I could be wrong.

Here's a video that shows how to remove the basket/inner tub. You probably won't need to, but here it is.

Washer Drive Block (part #WP389140) - How To Replace
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply