Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rascalrick  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2016 2:08:19 PM(UTC)
rascalrick

Groups: Registered

Not sure of the age...just purchased the home. The fridge started heating up and after some learning, then debugging I discovered that the coils in the freezer were not defrosting. I have been debugging this, but am not sure where the problem lies. The defrost heater measures out at 33 ohms, which is within spec, and the defrost thermostat measures out at 0 ohms when hit with circuit cooler, and somewhere in the 28k range when warmed. I put it back in and tried a forced defrost, which didn't seem to work. While it was in the forced mode, I pulled the connectors, and measured the voltage at 28v or so. Obviously this should be 120v, so what might be causing this low voltage?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2016 8:38:04 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Its probably the board. You should check the voltage at the board. Its part no. WPW10503278

(looked it up at sears, you should confirm.)
rascalrick  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2016 8:55:44 AM(UTC)
rascalrick

How do I get to the board? I can't figure out how to get the cover removed, and I'm afraid I'll break something if I pull too hard on the housing.
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2016 9:46:46 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I'm not familiar with your refrig. Try this video. It might answer your questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nboXbbm_bw
rascalrick  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2016 6:52:21 PM(UTC)
rascalrick

That video gave me what I needed to get to the main board. After further testing the defrost seems to work just fine when forced and during the system tests. I decided to put it all back together and see what happens. Perhaps the main board isn't doing automatic defrosting correctly? I'll post what happens in the next day or two.
rascalrick  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 13, 2016 9:54:34 AM(UTC)
rascalrick

Hi. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I have been monitoring/waiting. I put everything back together after a successful test of manual defrosting, and low and behold the fridge seems to be working just fine now. All I can assume is that there may have been a connection issue with either the defrost heater, or the thermostat. Anyhow, it has been working correctly for a couple of weeks, so I guess it is ok. Thanks for your help with this.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply