Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Andywall  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2016 10:02:10 AM(UTC)
Andywall

Groups: Registered

I tried to replace the bulb inside my oven yesterday, which was really tricky as the wires to the back of the light were tight, while trying to remove the bulb the bare wire touched the oven sparked and the oven went off. It didn't trip the breaker, but the oven is now completely dead the board is in responsive no lights work in the oven or on the main panel, but there is a buzzing noise coming from the right hand side of the board from a puck shaped black object on the board.
I know I should have cut the power BEFORE hand, but I didn't think replacing a bulb would have been such a big deal.

I presuming I have killed the board and will have to get it replaced, but wanted to know if it was something else before replacing the board.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Here is a picture of the black part that's buzzing... https://goo.gl/photos/QyS5VoZskygJGvQc8
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2016 3:29:48 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
The black thing is a piezo buzzer, it makes the signaling noises, timer, etc.

Yeah, the board is probably damaged. You can probably get yours rebuilt or you could buy a new one.

Whirlpool WPW10438709 Electronic Control Board - AppliancePartsPros.com
Andywall  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2016 3:55:07 PM(UTC)
Andywall

Groups: Registered

Could it not be the transformer, the panel does still beep when first powered up. There is no oven light either which is why I was thinking ( going) it may have been the transformer. Is there a way to check?
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2016 5:33:24 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Isn't the transformer part of the main board? Do you have a replacement transformer?

What might of happened when you shorted the light's wiring is you exceeded the amp rating of whatever switches the light on. Relay? Solid state device? It probably took out part of the transformer too and maybe a whole lot more. If you're good with checking components and soldering, you might be able to fix it. If it damaged one of the special chips you'll be out of luck.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply