Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Greg2cycle  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 5, 2016 9:50:34 AM(UTC)
Greg2cycle

Groups: Registered

The control panel for upper oven seems to function properly. After setting temperature for either bake or broil, the fan starts but the oven doesn't heat from either the bake or broil element. Also tried the self clean mode, but no heat from either element. Turned off electricity for 1-hr and tried again, but no heat from either element. Also tried the time cook mode - it turned on properly but the upper oven did not heat. The oven was functioning properly a few hours ago. There does not seem to be any visual damage to either heating element. The lower oven functions properly.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 5, 2016 11:59:03 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I'd say you've got a burnt wire, a burnt terminal, a burnt out element, a burnt relay, or a burnt trace on your ERC or electronic control. (that's a whole lot of burnt there :)

There is a wiring diagram on this page:

Parts for Maytag CWE5800ACS: Wiring Information Parts - AppliancePartsPros.com

If it was me, I'd shut off the power, check the bake element and if it tested OK, I'd pull the ERC out and look it over.
Greg2cycle  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 6, 2016 8:01:33 AM(UTC)
Greg2cycle

Thanks for the reply and for sending the wiring diagram. I see why you mentioned checking the electronic control, as both burners share the DLB outlet on the control for their red wire. If that outlet isn't functioning, then everything else on the oven would work except the two burners in the upper oven.

Is there a way to run a diagnostic on the electronic control without using a voltmeter (I don't have one..). Is there a button combination that would cause the faults to be shown?
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 6, 2016 5:23:52 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I don't know if there is a diagnostic. I'd invest in a test meter. They are cheap and handy for all kinds of things.
Greg2cycle  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2016 10:58:42 AM(UTC)
Greg2cycle

As a follow-up, I took the front panel off the oven to access the electronic control module, and used my NEW MultiTest Meter to check voltages. Sure enough, the suspected probe was not supplying 240V to the elements. There was a sticker on the module with the part number. I checked with the staff at appliance parts pro, and that EC module had been discontinued and there were none available.

I then searched the internet for used or repaired EC modules and found at least three businesses online that would repair and update the EC module for my oven. Thankfully one was located in my area. I disconnected the module and took it to the local business for repair, and should have it back in the oven next week.

Big thanks to ThatGuy for his help, and to the Appliance Parts Pro staff for their use of this website and their help trying to locate a part for me.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply