Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jelly_rockstar  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2016 12:03:33 PM(UTC)
jelly_rockstar

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/28/2016(UTC)
Posts: 11

I have a Maytag Centennial (MVWC7ESWW0) that doesn't activate the spin cycle on its own.

Heres the scenario:

Ill start a load of laundry but when it comes to spinning (at all) it will not start. I have to open the lid and close it then it seems as if something then engages to get the spin cycle to go.

If I do not open and close the lid then it just drains; it sounds like the motor is just free spinning inside. My clothes will be soaked.

Ideas?

https://goo.gl/images/mIekaN copy and paste link and this is what the control panel looks like
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com
 
dnlow  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2016 4:09:10 AM(UTC)
dnlow

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/4/2010(UTC)
Posts: 42

If it agitates and does not spin I would look at the clutch. If there is no agitation and no spin then the motor coupler is bad.
jelly_rockstar  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 1, 2016 10:48:03 AM(UTC)
jelly_rockstar

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/28/2016(UTC)
Posts: 11

Originally Posted by: dnlow Go to Quoted Post
If it agitates and does not spin I would look at the clutch. If there is no agitation and no spin then the motor coupler is bad.


Thank you; it agitates and doesn't spin. I will take a look at the clutch!
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 1, 2016 2:44:53 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Expert
Joined: 7/27/2010(UTC)
Posts: 1,395

Its could be either your lid switch or the timer. Is it below 65 degrees F in the room?

Why, you say?

The gearcase in this washer is called a "neutral drain gearcase".

The washer will be agitating then pause.

When it starts up again, the motor has reversed direction and its pumping out the water.

Then it pauses again. When it starts up, you can here an audible "clunk" as the gearcase shifts into spin. If you don't get this pause, it will just continue to drain until the time runs out.

Watch this video. Start at 2:35 then at 2:41 you hear the clunk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrj6yXEDy2Y

Also if its too cold the oil in the gearcase will be too thick. That can cause trouble too.
jelly_rockstar  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 1, 2016 2:55:30 PM(UTC)
jelly_rockstar

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/28/2016(UTC)
Posts: 11

Originally Posted by: ThatGuy Go to Quoted Post
Its could be either your lid switch or the timer. Is it below 65 degrees F in the room?

Why, you say?

The gearcase in this washer is called a "neutral drain gearcase".

The washer will be agitating then pause.

When it starts up again, the motor has reversed direction and its pumping out the water.

Then it pauses again. When it starts up, you can here an audible "clunk" as the gearcase shifts into spin. If you don't get this pause, it will just continue to drain until the time runs out.

Watch this video. Start at 2:35 then at 2:41 you hear the clunk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrj6yXEDy2Y

Also if its too cold the oil in the gearcase will be too thick. That can cause trouble too.


Alright, so its a combination of this and the previous reply.

It'll run through the cycles agitate, spin + rinse, spin... all cycles (from what I can remember) function... except the spin. It'll sound like the motor is free spinning until you open the lid - it'll make that "clunk". When you close the lid the spin cycle functions like its supposed to until the next spin cycle. Then you have to repeat opening the lid, wait for the motor to stop and "clunk" then close the lid, and the spin cycle will function again.
ThatGuy  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 1, 2016 4:01:05 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Expert
Joined: 7/27/2010(UTC)
Posts: 1,395

So if its agitating and then starts draining, does it pause after a couple of minutes then go back to draining? Never spinning?

Or does it just keep draining until the end of the cycle? No pause?
jelly_rockstar  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 1, 2016 4:04:58 PM(UTC)
jelly_rockstar

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/28/2016(UTC)
Posts: 11

Originally Posted by: ThatGuy Go to Quoted Post
So if its agitating and then starts draining, does it pause after a couple of minutes then go back to draining? Never spinning?

Or does it just keep draining until the end of the cycle? No pause?


It has the brief pause in between cycles.
ThatGuy  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 1, 2016 4:30:11 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Expert
Joined: 7/27/2010(UTC)
Posts: 1,395

A cycle is the whole thing: filling with water, agitation, drain, spin, filling with rinse water, agitation, drain, and final spin.

Is the washer pausing between drain and spin?


UserPostedImage
jelly_rockstar  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 1, 2016 4:33:11 PM(UTC)
jelly_rockstar

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/28/2016(UTC)
Posts: 11

Originally Posted by: ThatGuy Go to Quoted Post
A cycle is the whole thing: filling with water, agitation, drain, spin, filling with rinse water, agitation, drain, and final spin.

Is the washer pausing between drain and spin?


UserPostedImage


Gotcha, yes it takes brief pauses not for prolonged periods of time; if I had to estimate it'd be less than 20 seconds
ThatGuy  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 12:03:41 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Expert
Joined: 7/27/2010(UTC)
Posts: 1,395

I was thinking it might be the lid switch, but after messing with my machine it now seems unlikely.

I'm now thinking the problem is inside the gearcase. I've seen behavior like this before. There is a part called a spin paw that swings out and engages the big spin gear. It comes with a kit, but its a fairly difficult job to replace.

diagram of gearcase:

Parts for Maytag MVWC7ESWW0: Gearcase Parts - AppliancePartsPros.com

Kit:

Whirlpool 388253 Neutral Drain Kit - AppliancePartsPros.com

UserPostedImage
Users browsing this topic
3 Pages123>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.