Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chickadee  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 8, 2016 8:06:02 AM(UTC)
Chickadee

Groups: Registered

I've been struggling with this fridge for almost a month now.. someone please help!

At first it was not freezing anything in freezer, so I called in a tech and "fixed"it for a lot of money.. he changed capacitor , cleaned under fridge and that was that.. started working again.. for about a week , then it started happening again he says it's the defrost timer and it will cost a few hundred.. no way I said .. changed it myself.. took a bit to start working , when it eventually did , a week later it starts doing it again.. it was dead no noise nothing , I reset timer and for a few days it seemed ok.. last night before going to bed I checked it out and the freezer was really freezing everything , I could see ice on some veggies and a bit of frost on the back wall.. I also noticed fridge was warmer than usual.. it was late so I left it at that.. this morning it was completely dead, no noise nothing .. I opened the freezer all the frost was melted away .. everything in the freezer was soft to the touch.. I took everything out , checked to see if compressed was working . Nothing! Everything was dead.. I could hear the water draining.. I unplugged it .. took back panel in freezer off and there was no ice , nothing .. looked brand new .. I wanted to see if fan was working so plugged it in and nothing, so I turn the defrost timer and it goes right on.. the fan was working and cold air started to blow.. so I unplugged it . Put everything back together.. plugged back in and it starts.. it's been an hour or more and I don't want to open it just in case , I can hear it running.. I checked and compressor is running and the fan beside compressor is on .. so what is going on!?? Why is it malfunctioning so often?? Why is it either frozen - semi frozen- frosted, warm fridge ?? It's all over the place .. it works it doesn't? Can someone please help??!!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 8, 2016 8:29:19 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
It kinda sounds like you've got the wrong defrost timer or its gone bad.

Is it the same one shown on this page?

Frigidaire 215846602 Defrost Timer - AppliancePartsPros.com
Chickadee  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 8, 2016 8:46:10 AM(UTC)
Chickadee

Yes it's that one
There are diff ones?
Chickadee  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 8, 2016 9:09:25 AM(UTC)
Chickadee

Should I mayb return it and get another one just in case it's faulty?
ThatGuy  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 8, 2016 9:43:21 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

Its worth a try.

There are many different timers for each brand. Some with longer or shorter defrost cycles. And longer or shorter refrigerate times. Also some are wired differently internally. Your model number is missing two digits.
Chickadee  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 8, 2016 12:08:42 PM(UTC)
Chickadee

That's exactly what it says in the sticker with the info inside of the fridge
When I ordered the part the parts man said with a W1 at the end .. but that's all I could find on the info sticker .. and the old timer has the exact same numbers that appear on the one I bought
Chickadee  
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 8, 2016 12:31:44 PM(UTC)
Chickadee

Found a very worn out label at the side and I can make out W1 at the end
Chickadee  
#8 Posted : Saturday, October 8, 2016 1:47:38 PM(UTC)
Chickadee

So since I wrote this post the freezer has been doing I guess what it's supposed to.. everything in the freezer is frozen , the fridge seems cold .. good temp.. I looked in the freezer just now and it was not running, then at the bottom of freezer where the cold air comes out of/ the cold coils .. I could see what looks like the heated coils.. defrost mode to defrost right? It's like a heater.. is this supposed to be happening?
ThatGuy  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2016 2:09:08 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

Your defrost timer is an 8 hour/30 min. timer. So every 8 hours it will go into defrost and the 30 minutes later it will go back to refrigeration.

So if you should open the freezer door during that 30 minutes you might see the coil glow or hear the water dripping on the hot defrost coil. Both normal during defrost.
Chickadee  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2016 4:11:32 PM(UTC)
Chickadee

Ya it's caput.. it works for two days normally then it goes off completely.. things start to defrost and I have to kick start it all over again.. 😒😔 I'm looking for a new one ..
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply