Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
blair683  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 11, 2016 3:17:08 PM(UTC)
blair683

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone, I recently got a really good deal on a whirlpool French door refrigerator for 150 dollars. Well I thought it was a good deal. The guy I got it off of said it worked great. I got it home and plugged it in on my porch for 3 days and checked it daily. It worked great. I put it in my house and about 8 days later (today) the back of the freezer was covered in frost and the fridge was warm. I unplugged it for 8 hours with the doors open and ran the force defrost a few times. Plugged it back in and the fridge is cold again. I am sure that in 8 to 10 days it will be froze up again. After some research on these forums I came to the conclusion that it can be one of three parts. I ran the diagnostics on the refrigerator using this very helpful site Refrigerator Control Board W10503278 Diagnostics Everything in the diagnostics checked out good. I haven't had time to pull the fridge out from the cupboards yet to check the parts with a multimeter. I am leaning toward the control board being bad. I was wondering if there was a way to check the control board before pulling the trigger on buying a new one. Thanks for any information. It is greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

cbmserviceguy  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2016 6:42:19 AM(UTC)
cbmserviceguy

Easiest way to test the board is by forcing defrost. If you force defrost and the heater comes on, the board is bad. The board controls the defrost cycle as far as initializing it. If you have a defrost issue and the heater works when you bypass the board and force it, then the board isn't initializing the cycle. Fairly common problem with these. Let us know how it works out. Thanks!
blair683  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2016 10:17:15 AM(UTC)
blair683

Ok thanks. How can I tell if the heater comes on when I force defrost?
cbmserviceguy  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2016 11:49:59 AM(UTC)
cbmserviceguy

If you want to be sure, take the back cover off over the evaporator. Then you can see it working. Otherwise, if you listen to it, after a bit you can hear it sizzle.
blair683  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2016 12:06:40 PM(UTC)
blair683

Ok thanks a ton! I am at work now so I will try that tomorrow. Should I stick my head toward the back of the freezer while in force defrost mode to hear the "sizzle" sound?
cbmserviceguy  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2016 12:10:07 PM(UTC)
cbmserviceguy

You're welcome and it can't hurt to stick your head in there. It should be fairly apparent after 10 or 15 minutes that the heater is working. Back wall near the bottom in the freezer will likely be warm to the touch as well.
blair683  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2016 12:14:10 PM(UTC)
blair683

Ok, I'll report back tomorrow with my findings. Thanks!
blair683  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2016 9:11:00 AM(UTC)
blair683

Ok, so I did a force defrost and can not hear any sizzling. Everything in my freezer is frosted and the radiator behind the back wall is froze solid, this is after two days. Two days ago I let the unit unthaw for 8 hours and now it's frozen again. I had my head in the freezer for the entire force defrost and did not hear a single noise. How do I check the heater? I know how to work a multi meter, do I just check for continuity from one side of the heater to the other? Can I check it by removing the back panel inside my freezer or do I need to access it from the rear of the unit? Thanks for any info, it is greatly appreciated.
cbmserviceguy  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2016 9:25:34 AM(UTC)
cbmserviceguy

The heater is accessed by removing the rear wall of the freezer. There is a heater that starts on each side of the evaporator (radiator) and runs down and under it. You can unplug both sides of the heater and ohm it out. There is also a bi-metal defrost limit that you can ohm out as well. I will attach links to each part for easy reference and replacement. The evaporator coils must be cold to test the bi-metal. If you thaw it first, the bi-metal will show as open. It's ok to thaw enough to get at the wires if need be, just be sure to avoid heating the bi-metal attached to the evaporator. After you determine which part is bad, use a hair dryer or heat gun and thaw ALL the frost/ice behind the back wall. Be careful to not melt the liner of the unit. It will work well for several days unit parts come. When you install the parts, thaw it again and you should be good to go.

Whirlpool WPW10165425 Bimetl-Def - AppliancePartsPros.com

Whirlpool WP67002493 Heater, Evaporator - AppliancePartsPros.com
blair683  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2016 12:16:09 PM(UTC)
blair683

Hey man, you're awesome! Thanks a ton! I'll report back with my findings!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply