Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Shazaam  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2016 2:47:46 PM(UTC)
Shazaam

Groups: Registered

15+ year old Whirlpool Ultimate Care. When manually switching between wash/spin cycles, made a 'clanking' sound and motor sounded as if over-revving. Initially, agitator was locked up tight, but after trying various cycles it began to turn freely by hand. Lid switch is OK and washer fills and emptys OK as well, but agitator does not turn under power and no tub spin. Selector dial seems to recognize cycles correctly. I've replaced lid switch and agitator dogs on this machine in the past but no serious motor-related repairs. It's been a good one and I'd like to save it.

Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions from the experts (or not so expert :D)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

brobriffin  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2016 5:42:05 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If your machine doesn't agitate or spin, does it drain all the water when the motor is running?
If so you likely need a drive coupling, here is your part:
Whirlpool 285753A Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer Motor Coupling - AppliancePartsPros.com
This link also has a how to video....
Shazaam  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2016 11:20:08 PM(UTC)
Shazaam

Originally Posted by: brobriffin Go to Quoted Post
If your machine doesn't agitate or spin, does it drain all the water when the motor is running?
If so you likely need a drive coupling, here is your part:
Whirlpool 285753A Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer Motor Coupling - AppliancePartsPros.com
This link also has a how to video....

Thanks for speedy reply, Brobriffin. Ordered part and will update when installed.
Shazaam  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2016 10:59:04 AM(UTC)
Shazaam

Bobriffin,

Received coupler parts and began repair, but found surface rust on the bottom clip holding the pump onto the motor. Would not easily release from the shaft and didn't want to force it until I knew what I was faced with. Water began slowly dripping from the bottom of pump after releasing the clips and jiggling it around to attempt removal. As was indicated in the video there was evidence of coupler failure under the machine (pieces of rubber and plastic). I replaced the pump clips but water slowly drips.

I guess I need a new pump in addition to the coupler? (When it rains it pours ((or rinses))

Appreciate your advice on how to proceed from here. Thanks
brobriffin  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2016 11:15:44 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Yeah the pump dripping from its center shaft is typical. They are cheap enough.
and you now have experience in removal and replacement....

Whirlpool WP3363394 Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer Pump - AppliancePartsPros.com

Your machine like all other direct drive machines built by whirlpool is probably one of the most dependable durable washers ever built. (in my opinion)
Don't get rid of her unless she falls apart in a pile of rust.
Shazaam  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2016 12:22:04 PM(UTC)
Shazaam

OK, thanks., Are the clips included with the part or are they available under separate part nr? Any tips on removing from shaft if if puts up a fight?
brobriffin  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2016 1:31:20 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

I don't think the clips are included. However if the old ones are just a bit rusty they will still be ok. I've replace many pumps with rusty clips as long as the integrity of the metal is intact.
After removing the clips the pump should come off with a little effort. Kind of wiggle it up and down n side to side while pulling on it. If it seems to be stuck find a large screw driver and pry it away from the motor. Pry on the center of the pump close to the shaft. Then clean the end of the shaft of any debris or rust.
The new one should slide right back on, just line up the flat edges of the drive shaft with the flat edges of the inset on the pump.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply