Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jmire1981  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2016 5:49:08 AM(UTC)
Jmire1981

Groups: Registered

I have A GE profile arctica refrigerator that is not cooling. The freezer will not get below 30°. I've changed the circuit board, The defrost thermostat, and the upper thermistor. Still having the same problem. Any help would be much appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

cbmserviceguy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2016 11:24:59 AM(UTC)
cbmserviceguy

Is there any frost built up on the evaporator coil? Are the evaporator and condenser fans both running?
Jmire1981  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2016 1:56:14 PM(UTC)
Jmire1981

Both fans are running and every time I pull the back panel off there's barely any frost on the coils. Every once in a while it will pull down to around 17 degrees, then shoot back up to around 30 degrees.
Dean Haustead  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2016 10:41:17 PM(UTC)
Dean Haustead

. If the condenser coils are unclean or have not been clean in a while, clean them. If the condenser coils are placed inside the freezer walls, the coils do not need tidiness. However, if the condenser coils can be willingly access from behind or below the unit, you should dirt-free them each 6-12 months. If the condenser coils are unclean, they won’t be able to disperse heat efficiently, really plummeting the cooling ability of the freezer. If the condenser coils are dirty or have not been cleaned in a while, spotless them.
Jmire1981  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2016 2:58:50 AM(UTC)
Jmire1981

I've cleaned the coils under the fridge. Last night it dropped to 0 degrees and I thought I had fixed it, but this morning it was back to 30 degrees and water in the freezer coming from the ice bucket. It freezes and thaws, freezes and thaws.
cbmserviceguy  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2016 3:52:01 AM(UTC)
cbmserviceguy

The model number you have listed is incorrect. Could you post the correct full model number and serial number please? I want to check a couple ideas I have against what features/equipment your particular model has. Thanks!
Jmire1981  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2016 4:12:09 AM(UTC)
Jmire1981

Here is the sticker inside of the refrigerator
Jmire1981 attached the following image(s):
1472731878821.jpg
cbmserviceguy  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2016 4:33:08 AM(UTC)
cbmserviceguy

That straightened it out, thanks. Have you ohmed out the thermistors yet? I would check each of them one by one looking for one that is out of range. I would suspect the evaporator thermistor may be shorting out. I have attached a chart showing the temp and corresponding ohm reading you should receive. I have found it easiest to put the thermistor in an ice water bath and check for 32 degree reading. Let me know what you come up with and we can work from there if you don't find one out of wack.
cbmserviceguy attached the following image(s):
thermistor chart.jpg
Jmire1981  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2016 5:37:25 AM(UTC)
Jmire1981

I've replaced the evaporator thermistor. Per the schematic there is one at the bottom of the freezer and one located in the fresh food side. I've ordered two more to replace those and they will be here tomorrow. In your opinion, does this sound like more component issue or a freon issue? Also, just want to say that I truly appreciate all of your help.
cbmserviceguy  
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2016 8:45:16 AM(UTC)
cbmserviceguy

You are welcome. It's not a problem. Just trying to help some folks out. As for the issue, before you said it does occasionally get down to temp, I would have guessed a sealed system issue. Being that it does occasionally get down to temp, but fails to maintain it, I'm leaning towards a control issue. Either in the sensing of temps or the running of the compressor. My guess is either it's got a bad thermistor or the start relay on the compressor is a little wonky. It still could be a sealed system issue in the form of a restriction with intermittent stoppage. We'll know more after the new thermistors are installed. Keep me posted on you progress and I'll do my best to help!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply