Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ajappliance  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2016 8:17:57 AM(UTC)
ajappliance

Groups: Registered

Thermador oven problem:

First some background on stove repairs I've made recently to my much-loved Thermador range ( PRSG-366 , all gas model)
I recently replaced the Spark Module for the stove-top burners, and replaced the two X-LOW pots. All stove burners / ignitors work fine now.

A few weeks after the above fix, the original OVEN ignitor failed (the metal heating element broke off), and at the same time, I noticed a continuous gas hiss sound along with and a faint gas smell (I am pretty sure it's leaking out from the oven burner). I immediately shut off the gas feed to the range and unplugged electrical.

I replaced the old oven ignitor with a new one.

Time to retest: so I plugged the electrical back in, and turned on the gas feed. I immediately heard the gas hiss again, and the faint smell of gas. I tried turning the oven control on, and put my hand near the ignitor to see if it started to heat up during the test. The oven ignitor stayed cold. I only gave the test 45 seconds (since I was worried about a gas build-up)
By the way, during the test, I was able to turn all six oven elements on. They immediately lit up just fine.
Then I turned everything off - including the gas feed and electrical.

Could it be the oven control knob is broken? I doubt it, because it "clicks" (as it always used to) when I turn the oven control on and off.

So, I am thinking that either:
- the replacement ignitor isn't working in my oven (I should test for continuity between the two ignitor leads): but it doesn't make sense to me that a broken electrical oven ignitor would result in a gas leak(!)
- maybe when the original oven ignitor broke, it shorted out some other component (gas oven safety valve?)

I'm feeling a little uncomfortable with the safety of the oven now that the gas is coming on automatically when the range gas feed is turned on.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
AJ Appliance
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.