Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JoeH55  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2016 10:06:09 AM(UTC)
JoeH55

Groups: Registered

Hi all,

I have (what seems to be) the typical problem with my 2 year old Maytag fridge. The freezer doesn't defrost.

I've read through three days of forum advice and I've hair dried the coils over and over. Most advice stems around replacing or testing the defrost thermostat, and the defrost timer.

When I take off the back panel of the freezer, everything is there except the thermostat. Can't find one anywhere. And then I removed the top inside panel of the fridge to see the defrost timer, and there was nothing there either. I'll post pics so you can see, and maybe someone can help me out before i "repair the POS with a chainsaw.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

JoeH55  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2016 10:14:13 AM(UTC)
JoeH55

Here's one pic

[IMG]http://s227.photobucket.com/user/yojoewhataguy/media/freezer%20coil%20assembly.jpg.html?filters[user]=52851700&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=3[/IMG]
GeneC2  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2016 2:43:50 PM(UTC)
GeneC2

Hey man you don't need a chain saw, just some patience. You will not find a timer cause there is none. There could be a number of reasons for this 1st being a bad temp sensor, its clipped to evap coil tube, 2nd could be a bad heater. 3rd could be evap fan not running, 4th could be bad control board. 1st determine that the fan is running in freezer, you may need to hold the door button in for this, that will eliminate fan, you'll need an ohm meter to check the heater and thermostat (sensor) both of them will need to be unplugged for testing and both are user replaceable parts. you can google how to do this as it is a long explain. However from the way you say you have to defrost coils so often it sounds like fan motor. Before you replace verify voltage if it is not running. I assume you can figure all this out if not then better to call a service tech to tell you what's wrong and then do repair yourself. I hope this helps guide you to a solution to your problem
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply