Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
arnold6  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2016 8:15:35 AM(UTC)
arnold6

Groups: Registered

Hi all,

First time posting on this forum. I have an LG DLE2516W dryer and it is acting rather odd. It typically will stop running after a relatively short period of time. When I push the power button, it turns on for a half a second, then turns off. I have to repeat this 3 or 4 times before it stays on. Then the dryer will run for a minute of so, then turn off. After a few cycles, it will run the full time it is supposed to. I have checked the vent - no clogs. I now have it disconnected from the vent entirely, and still have the same problem.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
arnold
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

brobriffin  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 1, 2016 6:01:10 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Sounds as if when it gets hot things work ok. Then perhaps some of your machine wire connections to or from the control board may be damp/corroded. Fortunately it does work when heated so the control board likely is good. I have read some forums suggesting to use a hair dryer to rid the connections of moisture aiding in contact. I however think if you disconnect the wire terminals and clean them with a wire contact cleaner this would be better and more permanent. Here is a pic of one kind of contact cleaner.
brobriffin attached the following image(s):
electric cleaner.jpeg
arnold6  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 1, 2016 7:03:02 PM(UTC)
arnold6

thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely try it.

Some of what I've read indicates that the thermal fuse may have failed. While the part is only $10, it does entail essentially taking the entire dryer apart. The symptoms of a thermal fuse failure are a few of the many problems that the dryer is experiencing. I'm drying a load right now - it seems fine when the unit is starting from a cool state. But it seems to have these issues when it's hot because from running for a while.
brobriffin  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 2, 2016 4:23:31 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Thermal fuses are not auto resetting. In other words most thermal fuses once blown must be replaced, they burn out just like a fuse in your car.
Here's the however, your machine doesn't have a thermal fuse it has a thermistor (thermal resistor) and although it can be bad I'm not sure that is your case. According to your original post you had a hard time getting it to start in the beginning and stay running and it would work once warmed up (After a few cycles, it will run the full time it is supposed to .) Now you are saying just the opposite, so I am confused which is it?
arnold6  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 2, 2016 4:11:51 PM(UTC)
arnold6

Ahh, so it's not the fuse. I really appreciate the insight because I did not look forward to disassembling the dryer.

The first load - when the dryer is cold - is always fine. The problems start after the second load or third consecutive load, when the dryer is hot. It could be m imagination, but seems like it is REALLY hot as well. This is when dryer starts experiencing the various problems: having to push the power 3 or 4 times for it to stay turned on, the dryer turning off after 20 seconds, and perhaps being too hot.

Is this more clear? I'm sorry for being confusing.

thanks,
Arnold
brobriffin  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 2, 2016 6:21:27 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Ok I see a little better now. So when it gets hot the system isn't working properly. I still am leaning towards the connections being an issue. Not starting or staying started is a symptom of the control board and if the control board has faulty or corroded connections it may be your cause. Try disconnecting the wire connectors to and from the control boards and user interface and clean them as described above.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply