Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
femtnmax  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 17, 2016 8:14:29 PM(UTC)
femtnmax

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/17/2016(UTC)
Posts: 1

First off the appliancepartspros website has been a real help with diagnosis and videos of how to repair a clothes washer. This washer has been very reliable, year 1999, top load, no lid lock, no pause button. It has been used several times per week since new.
Problem was the washer would fill, spin, but not agitate. This is my first time taking one apart. Inspection showed the plastic agitator splines were ok, the belt, electric motor, and transmission drive pulley cam/spline were also ok. From below when turning the belt cw then ccw rotation, the machine would agitate at first or not at all.
With help from this website I decided the problem must be the transmission. Parts I replaced included the transmission, brake rotor (had cracks in the casting), the belt had one crack starting, and decided to upgrade the transmission drive pulley/thrust bearing. For the cost we decided it was still worth it to repair the machine.
Tear down summary: removed top w/ lid, front and rear panels, agitator, inner tub, then outer tub had notches so could remove it before taking out the inner tub Hub.
Could not remove the inner tub hub with pipe wrench and hammer, so cut hub with cutoff wheel. Before cutting removed water pump and electric motor to keep them free of metal chips. Only cut notch in upper half of hub. Third cut was within 1/8 inch or so of hub threads, then chisel several deep "cuts" parallel with transmission axis. Hub turned off by hand.
Removed bottom pulley/cam, then trans/brake assy came out. To remove brake rotor attached three 4 inch C-clamps equal spaced around brake stator, then removed 3 of the 6 original bolts, threaded in 1 1/4 inch long temporary bolts, then removed last 3 original bolts, then slowly started opening the 3 C-clamps equal amounts. The clamps were loose about the time the temporary bolts were near the end of their threads.
Assembly in reverse order.
Brake rotor installed the long temporary bolts, clamped the rotor/stator together, then 3 original bolts, then removed temp bolts, then install last 3 original bolts, snug them down and remove c-clamps. Installed transmission into washer. Tightened upper seal/hub with 10 inch pipe wrench and gentle taps with hammer until snug. Then installed outer tub, inner tub, motor, pump, agitator, top panel with lid, etc.
Test ran the washer with front panel removed. There was a slight leak where water outlet hose attaches to the water pump. Cleaned the hose/pump connection, coated both pieces with plumbers slow set putty, reassembled with original clamp.
2nd test run no leaks...machine working fine again.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com
 
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.