Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nathancb  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2016 3:29:04 PM(UTC)
nathancb

Groups: Registered

A few days into 2016 out dishwasher dies, so we buy a new one. Fast forward a few months later. Yesterday I noticed the dishes weren't clean. After some troubleshooting I realised the arms don't spin anymore. I've cleaned the filter and checked the pump. The diswasher shoots out hot water just fine and drains without a problem. It makes it through the whole cycle, except the arms don't move at all. They aren't stuck as I can easily move them with my hands, the holes on the arm are clean too.

Sounds like a dead motor.. Is there anything I can try or is it toast?

I'm beyond mad, only four months and it's broken, really??? Never buying another whirlpool product again!

A huge thank you to anyone who can help! Please, we're desperate. We're very broke right now and can't afford any repairs or a new dishwasher.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Matthew M  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2016 6:42:12 PM(UTC)
Matthew M

I'm not an authorized anything as far as repair. I have been troubleshooting many, many things for 30 years. I approach repair in a sense of some monkey, in some far away land, making peanuts for money is assembling. It's usually not that complicated, you just have to look and observe. With that said

Most arms I've ever experienced in any dishwasher over 30 years do not have motors. They all spin based on the water being pumped through (think of the lawn sprinkler from years ago, same thing). My thought would be...if you spin the arm like a roulette wheel does it spin...it should. If it binds or don't spin freely, then I'd begin searching there. parts are rubbing and the monkey didn't put it together right. Most of those arm parts pinch together without fasteners. Since no one else has responded, this is where I would begin.
Matthew M  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2016 7:03:55 PM(UTC)
Matthew M

Thinking a little harder here...you have cleaned out the bottom drain/filter area? Some people like my wife think the dishwasher and garbage disposal are one in the same...they're not. Recently cleaned out the bottom filter of lemon seeds. This will decrease the water pressure, add to the run cycle, and cause mayhem...or keep the arms from spinning. Typical things I've found in the filter...sippy straws and their clear plastic wrappers (how do they get there, I don't know...shakes head) Glass...from the broken wine glass. Beer caps. (ok, I know how that one got there.) Hope this helps.

Matt M
Appliance Medics  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2016 1:26:20 AM(UTC)
Appliance Medics

First things first. Of it is only a couple months old it should come with A FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY that would be at no charge to you unless it is something you have done to cause it to fail.