Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
roadkill721  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2016 4:39:05 PM(UTC)
roadkill721

Groups: Registered

My electric dryer first started out having another issue which I believe is related. My dryer is a low end model [Roper] with turn knob settings and push start button. Starting a week or two ago when I would put a load in, set to low heat setting, it would continue to dry into the next cycle, which was no heat. It is supposed to stop after the low heat cycle. When I would set it to high heat and start the dryer it would stop when it was supposed to. This wasn't a big deal because I would make sure to check on it when I would use low heat setting and pull the door when it finished its cycle, I was hoping that would be the extent of the dryers issues. Now I just discovered my dryer had stopped on its own near the beginning of a high heat cycle. I opened the door and pressed on the door latch and heard a click, so I don't think that's the problem. While holding the latch I attempted to start the dryer using different settings with no luck. Now, here's the thing, when I press the start button I hear it click at the button and on the other side where the cycle knob is I hear a faint click as well. I'm assuming that means it's getting the signal from the start switch? Also, if I listen closely while hold the start button I can hear the cycle knob slightly humming [like a timer switch]. I'm thinking that means it's turning around like it should and behaving just like it normally would if the dryer was running. Of course when I let off the start switch it stops. Anyone have any ideas?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

isabella01  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2016 11:35:54 PM(UTC)
isabella01

Hello dear, I have no idea to tell about it but i would like to suggest appliance-medic which are located in NY and NJ. You should contact there.

Thank you.
thorning  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2016 1:09:48 AM(UTC)
thorning

If you can get another pair of hands to help you, hold the door switch in while pushing the start button while also turning the drum to help it get started. If it starts and runs the motor is probably going bad and it is too expensive to repair. It may stop as soon as you let go of the start button. The slight hum you hear from the control panel area is likely just the timer motor which moves the timer thru its cycles. It may also have a problem if it is not moving the timer switch cams, The small 110 volt motor in the timer may have a worn plastic gear that no longer will turn the timer itself. Those little 110 volt timers are not available to buy separate and a new timer is usually too expensive to put into an old dryer.
roadkill721  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2016 2:59:54 PM(UTC)
roadkill721

Originally Posted by: thorning Go to Quoted Post
If you can get another pair of hands to help you, hold the door switch in while pushing the start button while also turning the drum to help it get started. If it starts and runs the motor is probably going bad and it is too expensive to repair. It may stop as soon as you let go of the start button. The slight hum you hear from the control panel area is likely just the timer motor which moves the timer thru its cycles. It may also have a problem if it is not moving the timer switch cams, The small 110 volt motor in the timer may have a worn plastic gear that no longer will turn the timer itself. Those little 110 volt timers are not available to buy separate and a new timer is usually too expensive to put into an old dryer.

Yes, that's what I was trying to say above with too many words I think. I hear the timer moving [the cycle knob] so I think that's good there. You said something about the timer switch cam..if I hear the timer moving does that mean the switch cams are working? Also, I just had my son help me by having him press the start switch and the door switch while I rotated the drum. It didn't even try to start. So I'm not sure. Is it possible the motor died completely and that's why I'm not getting any response? Or if it was just the motor dead and not something else wouldn't I hear other noises while starting the dryer? It just confuses me because I hear the timer running when I press the start button but as soon as I let off the start button the timer sound stops. I borrowed a voltmeter from someone today and can try to test out some things with. I'm not sure how to use it or what to test but thank God for my surrogate father aka "youtube".
thorning  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2016 7:08:17 PM(UTC)
thorning

Sounds like you have a dead motor. If the small timer motor moves the cams and the switch provides electricity to the drum motor it should start it to turn.
roadkill721  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2016 11:35:30 AM(UTC)
roadkill721

I'm thinking it's the thermal fuse. I went ahead and ordered one. They aren't expensive. I used the multimeter on the switch, timer, and thermal fuse. Everything was fine with those things except the thermal fuse. I will install it when it comes in and update on the situation. I hope it's not the motor. If it is the motor, are they hard to install?
roadkill721  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2016 11:40:40 AM(UTC)
roadkill721

Ohh you're saying it could be my timer motor, not the drum motor?
thorning  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2016 1:31:01 AM(UTC)
thorning

When the dryer start switch is pushed and all other things such as the thermal switch is OK, the drum motor should start to rotate the drum. If the thermal switch is bad the drum will not start to turn. The thermal fuse/switch can be bypassed with a jumper temporarily to verify . If it works you got lucky. If it is a bad drum motor they are kind of expensive to replace and a lot of work. If it is a timer they are easy to replace but also expensive. If it turns out to be a bad thermal fuse you have a vent tube clogged problem or in extreme cases the blower wheel is not turning which results in not enough air flow . This then causes the thermal fuse to pop. They are not resettable. Hope this helps.
roadkill721  
#9 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2016 3:30:54 PM(UTC)
roadkill721

Got the new thermal fuse in. Dryer still will not start. Going to get into the cabinet and test the motor. This is very frustrating.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply