Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mbr321  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2016 1:27:13 PM(UTC)
mbr321

Groups: Registered

I replaced the broken belt, now it turns slowly, stops at its. Could the belt be wrong size? It I touch the belt the drum will turn for a few mins
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

thorning  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2016 4:20:53 PM(UTC)
thorning

Originally Posted by: mbr321 Go to Quoted Post
I replaced the broken belt, now it turns slowly, stops at its. Could the belt be wrong size? It I touch the belt the drum will turn for a few mins

Did you compare the new belt against the old as regards length and width ? Except for old old dryers usually Maytags which used quite a long belt with 5 ribs the belts I see for sale are usually specified as being for a 27 " or a 29 " wide dryer. Using a 29 " wide dryer belt on a 27 " wide unit will not have much tension and it would slip. Conversely if you tried to put a belt in place that was the type intended for the 27 " wide unit it would be difficult to put on if you could get it on at all. Do the number of grooves on the pulley match the grooves on the belt ? A skinny/narrow width belt will work on a 5 groove pulley but a 5 groove belt will not fit properly on a narrow pulley. Another thing to look at is the spring tension for the idler. Any problem with the alignment ?
mbr321  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2016 4:59:26 PM(UTC)
mbr321

Yes, I got one belt couldn't put it on the pulley, so I went back got a longer belt, Lowes only have 2 sizes. I finally get it on, now it wont turn. But if you play with the belt some it will start to spin. Wont spin at all if there anything in the dryer.. Thanks for your help..
thorning  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2016 6:09:45 PM(UTC)
thorning

Originally Posted by: mbr321 Go to Quoted Post
Yes, I got one belt couldn't put it on the pulley, so I went back got a longer belt, Lowes only have 2 sizes. I finally get it on, now it wont turn. But if you play with the belt some it will start to spin. Wont spin at all if there anything in the dryer.. Thanks for your help..

Might be a good idea to see how difficult it is to turn the drum starting from no rotation. Go to an appliance store and check a new dryer to see how much force it takes to turn a new one as compared to yours. Again it might still be a good idea to see if there is any extra drag on the drum regardless of the belt situation.
mbr321  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 9, 2016 5:24:54 PM(UTC)
mbr321

I had to adjust the tension rod, made the belt tighter,, working good now:)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply