Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pitwoman  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2016 5:42:42 PM(UTC)
pitwoman

Groups: Registered

I recently moved. I installed transportation bolts, then removed them when I installed the washer at the new house. I did 2 loads and things seemed fine, but on the third load, water began gushing from the bottom at the front. I let the load spin to remove the laundry. The bellow was torn all the way around, completely separating the side attached to the door from the side attached to the washer. The tub seems to be able to move around a lot. Whirlpool told me there was nothing I should have done after removing the bolts. Any idea what could cause this? I don't want to replace the bellow and ruin it immediately. Thanks! PS: I just posted a pic of three plastic pieces I found in the laundry I took out of the washer. I have no idea if they are related to the problem
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 4:13:03 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

I don't see your pictures but obviously something in the wash load tore up the bellows. I don't know if your tub movement is excessive, take off the top and check the support structure and go ahead and replace the bellows and see what happens.

That's about the best I can do without being there to see it.
pitwoman  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 8:33:56 AM(UTC)
pitwoman

I'm sure nothing in the load caused the bellow to sever completely in two. I only had sheets in there. The bellow is now in two pieces, half attached to the tub and half to the door opening. I emailed the pic as instructed, but I don't see it here yet either. It was of 3 slightly oval clear plastic pieces about 2" by 1 1/2 ".

Thanks, I'll see if I can figure out how to take the top off and take a look. Since the damage was so severe and definitely not caused by sheets, I'm hesitant to install a new $75+ part without knowing why it happened in the first place.

Can you give me some hint as to what I'll be checking for when I take the top off?

Thanks!
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 9:56:22 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Well I am at a loss because these bellows are made of pretty strong material and quite frankly I have seen a lot them damaged but never one as you described. Could the things you are trying to post the pictures of do as much damage as you have seen?

When you take the top and back if you can, off you want to look for any damage to the support staructure or the parts holding the counterweight.

I sympathize with your desire not to spend money to replace the bellows when you do not know what caused the problem but I don't know of any other way in which you can get the machine operating again.
pitwoman  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2016 9:03:59 AM(UTC)
pitwoman

Thanks! I took of the back and all looks ok to me, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I found the shock absorbers. How do I know if they're good? The springs are both attached. Other than that, I don't know what I'm checking for. If I move the tub manually, it will move far enough to touch both the front and back. Is that as it should be?

I've order the new bellow, so I guess, unless I can find something wrong that might have caused such extreme damage to it, I'll have to risk $75 for a 2nd replacement if this one rips too.
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2016 9:28:38 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

I think you would see visible evidence of a problem with the support structure and struts, so you are probably ok and the tub is probably ok because the movement is in part because of the problem with the bellows.

Good luck on the replacement, it will help greatly to have help putting the new bellows on and let us know how it turns out.
pitwoman  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2016 7:17:25 AM(UTC)
pitwoman

I finally got the part delivered and managed to get it on okay, EXCEPT for the last clamp. I've been trying for days, even with the help of a friend to help hold it in place while I tried to stretch the spring enough to get it around the bellows, but it seems impossible. Any suggestions? So close, yet still so far!
Thanks for your help!
sidfink43  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2016 9:51:11 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Gosh you are having a problem we all have with these models and about the only advice I can give is to keep trying. This is not your fault, the problem is with the design.

Sorry not to be more helpful.
Joe / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2016 11:17:05 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: pitwoman Go to Quoted Post
I finally got the part delivered and managed to get it on okay, EXCEPT for the last clamp. I've been trying for days, even with the help of a friend to help hold it in place while I tried to stretch the spring enough to get it around the bellows, but it seems impossible. Any suggestions? So close, yet still so far!
Thanks for your help!

Pitwoman, See the attached information, it may help... it's some "basic" bellows replacement information so it may not be exactly like your machine, but should be a little helpful. Thanks
File Attachment(s):
Binder1.pdf (344kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
pitwoman  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2016 10:52:52 PM(UTC)
pitwoman

Thanks, but I have it all together again. I just can't manage to stretch the spring wire clamp enough to get it around the bellow. Might there be a tool that would help, or some hint besides screw drivers as aids to pull the spring open? I'm tempted to see if there's a slightly larger wire clamp or one with a more giving spring. It came off, so I know it must be able to go back on. I just haven't been able to do it after hours of trying and even with the help of an extra pair of hands to try to hold it in place.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply