Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
speckles1  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2016 1:29:41 PM(UTC)
speckles1

Groups: Registered

i have a kenmore 90 series washer. The agitator is working, it goes completely around and pulls the clothes down as it should and you cannot move is counter clockwise completely. It is making a slapping noise which kind of sounds like it is slipping every now and then. I am waiting to get tools to see if the dogs may be starting to wear out?? Would this be happening if they are "starting" to wear out but not completely worn? If the dogs are not worn, what would be my next step to diagnose? Thank you.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 7:42:32 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: speckles1 Go to Quoted Post
i have a kenmore 90 series washer. The agitator is working, it goes completely around and pulls the clothes down as it should and you cannot move is counter clockwise completely. It is making a slapping noise which kind of sounds like it is slipping every now and then. I am waiting to get tools to see if the dogs may be starting to wear out?? Would this be happening if they are "starting" to wear out but not completely worn? If the dogs are not worn, what would be my next step to diagnose? Thank you.

Speckles, Yes is could be that the dogs are wearing out and slipping. You shouldn't be able to turn the agitator clockwise at all. You will also want to remove the lower agitator and check the splines in the center of the agitator bottom, to make sure they aren't slipping either.
speckles1  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 8:56:35 AM(UTC)
speckles1

Joe, thank you for responding. I now have had a chance to look at the dogs on my machine. They do appear worn...there is only one "notch" on each of them on the round center of the dog. I am assuming that the dogs should have several notches that should catch. I went ahead and ordered a set of them from app.com. I could not see a close up of the new dogs but for $2.95 I figured it's worth a try, however the $8.50 shipping bites. I am a 62 yr old disabled woman who is using youtube videos and logic to do this repair...I have never seen the inside of my agitator until now. (very interesting but makes sense !) I wanted to purchase an entire repair kit because the dogs are only held in by a very thin plastic ring which is not broken but I would have loved to put a new one in since my machine is quite old....but, there was not a kit available for my model #110.28912790. The dogs arrive tomorrow so I am excited to get them in and see if the problem is fixed.

Also I wanted to tell you I did remove the bottom part of the agitator and viewed what I think are the splines...a metal piece with grooves and it didn't seem to have any worn grooves.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 11:15:05 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Joe, thank you for responding. I now have had a chance to look at the dogs on my machine. They do appear worn...there is only one "notch" on each of them on the round center of the dog. I am assuming that the dogs should have several notches that should catch. I went ahead and ordered a set of them from app.com. I could not see a close up of the new dogs but for $2.95 I figured it's worth a try, however the $8.50 shipping bites. I am a 62 yr old disabled woman who is using youtube videos and logic to do this repair...I have never seen the inside of my agitator until now. (very interesting but makes sense !) I wanted to purchase an entire repair kit because the dogs are only held in by a very thin plastic ring which is not broken but I would have loved to put a new one in since my machine is quite old....but, there was not a kit available for my model #110.28912790. The dogs arrive tomorrow so I am excited to get them in and see if the problem is fixed.

Also I wanted to tell you I did remove the bottom part of the agitator and viewed what I think are the splines...a metal piece with grooves and it didn't seem to have any worn grooves.

Speckles, Normally, I would recommend the agitator cam repair kit [AP3094544], but you can probably get by with a few dabs of "Vaseline" or basic waterproof grease. Apply it to the lower cam spacer/washer, and the bottom of the "dogs", it'll help to keep everything moving proper and freely. The splines in the bottom of the agitator are usually the same material as the agitator itself, the black or gray color inside the grooves is grease applied on the production line, but as long as you didn't see any "plastic" chips or shavings, the splines are OK. There's not much we can do about the shipping charges, that's what the shippers charge AppliancePartsPros.com.
Every thing sounds good and proper, but drop us a line if you need more assistance. Thanks,
speckles1  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 12:18:07 PM(UTC)
speckles1

I searched and searched your site for a compatible full kit and couldn't find one using the compatibility tool. I wished I had found the repair kit you posted in your reply. Well hopefully just replacing the dogs will do it. Thanks, Joe.
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 12:46:40 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

I searched and searched your site for a compatible full kit and couldn't find one using the compatibility tool. I wished I had found the repair kit you posted in your reply. Well hopefully just replacing the dogs will do it. Thanks, Joe.

Speckles, The dogs and grease will most likely be sufficient, it doesn't sound like you'd be overloading the washer or doing a lot of laundry loads in succession. Next time, if in doubt ask, we're here to help you.
You're Very, Very Welcome !!!