Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PhillipsHouse  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 17, 2016 7:11:23 PM(UTC)
PhillipsHouse

Groups: Registered

My fridge and freezer suddenly stopped cooling and freezing, without major warning.

Reason I say major warning is because I've had an ongoing issue with the unit collecting water in and under the crisper trays that I never looked at, and I'm not sure if maybe it's related to my issue. I don't think it is but thought I'd mention it because you never know.

Symptoms: The compressor is short cycling. The compressor cycles on and off as the overload relay trips on and off. When testing for power between the 3 wires and ground I found that on the red common wire (the one that is wired into the overlaod relay) I have 120VAC, and on the pink run wire and blue start wire going into the PTC relay I have no voltage when the overload is tripped.

When the overload closes I get 120VAC on the on the pink, run, wire and 0VAC on the blue, start, wire (well I actually measure about 1.5 VAC)

There is no capacitor on the start circuit, only on the run circuit.

I'm confused about one thing. Is the red common wire hot, and the pink run and blue start wires neutral? Can you even wire a capacitor into the neutral side of a circuit? When I think of common I think of neutral.

I've checked the compressor and I've found that it seems to check out ok electrically. For the short period it does run it makes no abnormal or loud noises. I can hardly hear it run and actually have to feel it run because it's so smooth and quiet. Between the common and one pin measures 4 ohms, between the other min and common .4 ohms, between the start and run pins 4.1 ohms. This is with a hot compressor, the value changes when the compressor is cold. I cant recall the cold values but I do remember that the total of the 2 resistance measurements between the common and 2 other pins about equaled the resistance reading between the start and run pins.

The PTC relay has approximately 1,100 ohms between the start and run pins, and 0 ohms going straight through the relay (start in and start out pins, and run in and run out pins)

Ive checked the amperage draw while the overload is closed and it seems high, I measured on the red common wire and have 9.5 amps. I thought that seemed high but then I discovered no power on the run side of the PTC relay and thought that may cause the high amperage draw.

I've been working on this for a while now so it's not being caused by the evaporators being froze up, and the condensor fan is working and the condensor coils are clean.

No error codes are displayed either.

I'd feel more confident if I could find a service manual for this thing but I cant find one online. I'm used to DC circuits on Class 8 trucks, not AC on refrigerators, lol.

I'm just going by the schematic on the back of the unit.

Another point of confusion is I read that the start winding in the compressor should be the one with higher resistance but it seems my run circuit (blue wire) is wired into the winding with higher resistance. Is my start winding burned up is that why only .4 ohms resistance, if I remember right it was around 1 ohm when cold.

I hope this isn't information overload, just trying to be thorough.

Thanks in advance
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.