Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cgiuffre  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 6, 2016 6:06:10 PM(UTC)
cgiuffre

Groups: Registered

Greetings Appliance Wizards and Gurus!
I have a well used, but lovingly cared for ;) GE Profile washer, that up until a couple of weeks ago was an otherwise flawlessly operating machine; but has since run into some trouble.
A couple of weeks ago (the day before holiday company arrived - of course) the pump stopped working. I took it apart and found some pillow filling had clogged the impeller and burned out the pump motor. Replaced the pump and it drains fine.
However, upon start up I noticed a ticking noise in the main motor. Wash cycle worked fine, and the first spin cycle was fine too. And it drained flawlessly (:D). Put in a small load of clothes, and started again. Washed fine, drained fine, but as soon as the spin cycle started, and the drum began to turn, it stopped. Maybe 5 or 6 seconds of spin. It goes through the rest of the cycles fine.

I found it strange that this occurred immediately after replacing the pump, as it was working fine before. The drum is not wobbling excessively, and does not seem out of balance. I'm wondering if some of the water that came from the pump removal may have splashed up and damaged a component? Either an electrical switch, or possibly gummed up the grease in a bearing?

I am marginally proficient in mechanical repair (hey, I replaced the pump!), and my instinct tells me that there is something wrong with the clutch, or some sort of load switch? Sound close? What do you think?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2016 1:15:45 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

You are a little bit unclear when you say it goes through the 'rest of the cycles' fine, but I assume you mean it will not spin in any cycle, and not after the wash or the rinse.l

So I suggest you operate it with the front panel off and observe what happens when it is supposed to spin. If the motor is turning it could be the transmission or clutch, and if the motor is not turning it could be the control unit, and possibly the motor.

I don't think your problem or repair on the pump should have had any effect as the pump is electric and not part of the spin process.
cgiuffre  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2016 9:16:24 PM(UTC)
cgiuffre

Sidfink43, thanks for checking in!
Yes, the washer will not spin through any cycles. Washes fine (agitator), drains fine, rinses fine. Just no spin.

I have observed it with the front panel removed. As described, it starts to spin for a few seconds and then stops. As the timer goes it just sits while the rinse sprays in a little, and the cycle moves on to washing again. It will do this throughout all the spin cycles. The belt does not turn.

I will try it again in the morning, and observe more closely for any other clues.

As for the pump repair, I was thinking that perhaps some of the water that escaped from the hose during removal (the drum still had some water in it) may have splashed into an area of the motor, and caused the grease/lubricant to gum up enough to put too much load on the spin start up, or something like that. As mentioned, it just seemed strange that this should first manifest moments after another repair. Maybe just my luck...:rolleyes:

Thanks again for your help.
cgiuffre  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 8, 2016 6:08:19 PM(UTC)
cgiuffre

So I tried it again today with the following results:
Empty drum: it went through all the cycles flawlessly, including the spin cycle.
Extra small load (1 twin bed sheet, a couple of t-shirts, some underwear): It washed and drained okay, but entering spin, there was a ticking noise in the motor (or somewhere down there), it spun for a couple of seconds and then stopped. Rinse and drain resumed as the timer went through its cycle. 2nd attempt with small load produced similar results.

[IMG]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9GSqLEfjeIhZkNYUVpBbHRiQVk/view?usp=sharing[/IMG]

Link to video showing what happens: https://drive.google.com/file/d/...bHRiQVk/view?usp=sharing

Any insight would be helpful, thanks.
cgiuffre  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 8, 2016 6:14:39 PM(UTC)
cgiuffre

another video showing it spinning a second or two longer.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/...Nlh3NHc/view?usp=sharing
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 9, 2016 4:19:09 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

When it stops spinning is the motor still turning?
cgiuffre  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 9, 2016 11:51:37 AM(UTC)
cgiuffre

No, the motor stops.
Video shows the sequence of events.
sidfink43  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 9, 2016 12:37:23 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Ok, sounds like the control unit is the problem, but check wiring you may have knocked something lose in your pump repair.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply