Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pete Pliers  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 28, 2015 12:15:19 PM(UTC)
Pete Pliers

Groups: Registered

I'm trying to replace a broken motor coupling. I have the right factory part (#285753A), but it looks like the holes in the 2 metal sleeve lined plastic couplers are just a smidgen too small. I tried exchanging them for another set but the new ones are about the same size.

They only go on the motor and transmission shafts a little over 1/2 way, even with careful tapping and a bit of lithium grease to help things along. Is this typical? ...It doesn't look like it would hold up.

All the videos I've seen online - including the one on this site - appear to show those parts close to flush with the shaft ends when installed. The original all plastic version found on the motor was originally flush mounted (I don't know about the original one on the transmission since it was broken).

What's the deal?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2015 4:19:10 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

I can only conclude that your shafts, when machined at the factory are slightly to big. The parts are tight, and we usually put the grease on them and then use a half inch socket and a hammer to lightly tap them on.
Pete Pliers  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2015 12:48:08 PM(UTC)
Pete Pliers

Groups: Registered

I think you're right ...that's exactly what I ended up doing.

After greasing the transmission shaft, I had to carefully tap on the edges of the socket with a small hammer a little at a time all the way around - and occasionally in the center of the socket - until the coupler was flush.

As for the motor, propping it up vertically with wood blocks on two sides helped. I used the same technique on it but with a small wood block between the hammer and socket. This seemed to help and I think it also softened the impact a bit.

Going slowly like this took the better part of an hour but I didn't want to risk damaging anything. I was rewarded with a working machine.

Thanks!
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2015 4:23:21 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Great, glad you got them on and thanks for updating us. This will be very helpful to folks who read this Forum.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply