Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Majdo  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2015 11:52:33 AM(UTC)
Majdo

Groups: Registered

Hello Everyone,

I have a Kenmore model 10657362702 side by side refrigerator which does not get cold enough. The freezer section will not freeze anything and the fridge section is warm as well. Everything seems to be working however the refrigerator just will not get cold enough.
The refrigerator powers on and all internal and external fans as well as the compressor start running however the compressor runs for only up to two minutes and then it shuts off while the condenser fan is still running. Eventually the compressor starts again for another one to two minutes run time.
I checked and cleaned the condenser coil, I tested the compressor terminals for continuity and both compressor the run winding and the start winding are both intact (e.g. measures ~4ohm and ~7ohm resistance).
I checked the evaporator coil everything looks as it should and I could even hear the coolant flowing through the coil.
I noticed the compressor get very hot even though it only runs for up to two minutes.

Has someone experienced the same issue before? Please help if you can.

Best regards,

Majdo
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2015 12:55:53 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Kenmore Refrigerator 10657362702 - AppliancePartsPros.com

If you go to the Sears parts site they have part breakdown diagrams.
Unfortunately they do not share these with other vendors.

See the attachment for the tech sheet.

Did you check each compressor coil to the case to see if any were grounded.
If not you should.
Also you should have 3 measurements with two of them adding up to the third.
Perhaps the following will be useful to you.
How To Fix a Refrigerator - Appliance Repair Guide - ACME HOW TO.com

Note that just because the compressor coils measure OK does not mean it is OK as it may have internal problems.

Whenever the fans are on the compressor should be on so it sounds like the compressor is overheating and tripping the thermal overload.

Check that the start relay is OK. Perhaps it is not releasing so the start winding stays in circuit and causes the compressor to overheat.
Sometimes the only way to tell for sure is to replace it.
Same goes for the capacitor.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Majdo  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2015 7:18:25 PM(UTC)
Majdo

Groups: Registered

Dear denman,

Thank you for your reply. You confirmed what I thought was wrong with the refrigerator. I suspected either the compressor start/protective device or the compressor itself is causing the fridge to not get cold enough.
I purchased a new compressor start/protective device. Once I installed the new compressor start/protective device the refrigerator was still acting the same way as before. After being plugged in for over 24 hours it was still very warm in both the freezer and fridge sections. I measured the very hot compressor again and now one of the compressor windings measured only 0.1 ohms while the other winding measured 3.4 ohms. Based on what I learned on the Internet about the refrigerator compressors I came to a conclusion my compressor is a toast and I am going to look for another fridge.

Thank you for your valuable insights as well as for the web links and the wiring diagram.

Sincerely,

Majdo
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply