Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chuckpie85  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2015 4:59:42 PM(UTC)
Chuckpie85

Groups: Registered

I have a roper electric dryer a few weeks ago it wasn't blowing hot air. Using my multimeter I found the thermal fuse had no continuity so I ordered a kit that included a new thermostat and thermal fuse( i cant rember if it was the fuse or the thermostat that was bad but it was on the top of the metal duct where the heating coil was part number 3977393). Got the parts and it said to replace both at the same time so I did. Then I put a small load in the dryer and when I came back the dryer was off but the dial didn't move. When I tried to turn the dryer back on it did nothing so I went back took it apart and found that the blower fuse had popped part number 3392519. Again I ordered and installed and back up and running we were. I went back down and again the dryer was off the clothes were dry but the dial didn't move at all and there was a lot of steam like it was running really hot and the clothes were all.ost to hot to touch. I haven't taken the thing apart again because it does nothing when I try to start just like last time and guessing the fuse popped again. I can replace the fuse no biggie but there must be something else wrong and not sure what it could be. Seen a few things saying the mostiure sensor but I can't seem to find where in the drum that is also saw something about a relay being bad. I'm at a complete loss and would appreciate any input someone may have. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 12, 2015 1:19:10 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Roper RED4100SQ0 Dryer - AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the tech sheet.

This unit does not use a moisture sensor.

Below is my usual blurb on replacing a blown thermal cutoff.

Check the heating coil.
Unplug the unit and both wires to the coil.
Check it with a meter, should be around 10 to 12 ohms.
Then check from each side of the coil to the case/frame, both should be infinite ohms (open). If not the coil may have sagged or broken and is touching the case. This can cause it to run on high and the thermostats cannot regulate it so the thermal cut-off blows.

The hi-limit should have regulated the temperature so the fuse did not blow, that is why there is a new one with the thermal cut-off..
Note: That unless there is another problem in the unit the hi-limit should never have to open. It is just a safety device with the fuse being a backup safety device.

Just in case it is not a grounded element.
With all the below the high limit will also have to be replaced.
Check that the belt is OK.
Check the seals (drum etc) in the unit. The air is pulled over the heating coils, through the drum and pushed out the exhaust. So any large seal leak will pull in room air and the cycling thermostat on the blower will run the unit hot.
Check that the lint filter is not coated with fabric softener residue which greatly reduces air flow.
Check/clean your vent system.
Check/clean the blower wheel.

If all OK you may want to replace the cycling thermostat as it's contacts may not be opening (welded shut)
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Chuckpie85  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 13, 2015 9:52:47 AM(UTC)
Chuckpie85

So I just tested the cycling thermostat and that was one of the first parts because it came with the high limit fuse that originally started this fiasco. The thermostat is showing resistance with the dryer off the version in my dryer only had 2 wires. Is it possible this thermostat has s higher temperature rating that the previous also there is no resistance on the heating element housing like someone else mentioned. I did find that the thermostat on the heating element is connected to the point where it connects to the coil itself I have attached an image of the part just to make sure I'm explaining it right also if that is the issue how do I get the thing out? There are no screws its just attached through a metal prong or do I have to replace the coil and the housing? Thank you again

View image: 20150913 133357
denman  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2015 3:07:03 AM(UTC)
denman

So I just tested the cycling thermostat and that was one of the first parts because it came with the high limit fuse that originally started this fiasco.
I think you have your parts confused.
The kit you received would have been the thermal cutoff (high limit fuse) and the hi-limit thermostat.
The cycling thermostat is mounted on the blower assembly.

[COLOR="Blue"]The thermostat is showing resistance with the dryer off the version in my dryer only had 2 wires.[/COLOR]
Is this 0 ohms, it should be.

[COLOR="Blue"]Is it possible this thermostat has s higher temperature rating that the previous[/COLOR]
You are looking at the wrong part.
The temperatures should be:
Thermal cut-off 309 degrees
Hi-limit thermostat 250
Cycling thermostat 135 to 155 adjustable
Thermal fuse I do not know.

[COLOR="Blue"]also there is no resistance on the heating element housing like someone else mentioned. [/COLOR]
I am assuming that this is the test for checking if a heating element is grounded.

[COLOR="Blue"]how do I get the thing out? There are no screws its just attached through a metal prong or do I have to replace the coil and the housing?[/COLOR]
The side that is on the heater element is disconnected and then it should then unclip from the little tab on the right side.
Chuckpie85  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2015 2:23:17 PM(UTC)
Chuckpie85

So I am happy to report that the dryer is working again. Turns out the thermostat II was sent had way to high of a limit and needed to be replaced with an adjustable one where I could set the temperature lower. Thanks again for the input
denman  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2015 12:02:36 AM(UTC)
denman

You are welcome.

And thanks for getting back to us. Now when others search for a similar problem they will see what actually worked instead of just suggestions about what could be the cause.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply